[Namron] Torsade Scroll

Duncan MacNamara sca_macnamara at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 14:46:34 PST 2006

Yes, they are seperate and distinct ranks. However, As the Admiral of the Ansteorran Royal Navy, I Captain the Flagship of the Ansteorran Royal Navy myself. The HMS Iron Lotus is not technically part of the Northern Region's command chain, as I do not report to the Regional. That should clear up the redundancy issue. The Regionals report to me, and I report to the Lord High Admiral, who in turn reports to Crown.

  The Lord High Admiral is in overall command of the Ansteorran Royal Navy. I am in command the Flagship of the Ansteorran Royal Navy and the Regional Flagships. The Regional Officers are in command of the various ships within their respective Regions who have signed on with the Ansteorran Royal Navy.

  Starting to make a bit more sense?

  As far as our ranking system, we have researched different ranking structures, and have been careful to remain as period as possible while still being applicable to an SCA-like structure.

  As far as "captains" of households, the Black Company is a good example. The Patriarch of the Black Company preferrs to be called the Captain of the Black Company, though it is not a ship-based household.

  Please try to understand... in this grand game of persona play that is the SCA, we're trying to balance structure and rank while still leaving room for fun, because the SCA is in fact a game, and is therefore supposed to be fun.

  In Service,

  Lord Duncan MacNamara
  Admiral of the Ansteorran Royal Navy
  Captain of the HMS Iron Lotus

Matthias the Brewer <matthiasthebrewer at cox.net> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                I’ve always been under the impression that Captain and Admiral were separate and distinct ranks.  Maybe it’s my military background, but I have trouble seeing someone as being both Captain and Admiral.  To my way of thinking, that is the same as being both a Private and a Corporal.  I’ve always seen an Admiral as commanding a number of ships, where each ship has a Captain.  The Admiral would control the “big picture” while the Captains controlled everything on the ship.  An Admiral commanding a ship would either a VERY unusual situation or an insult to the Admiral.  And when you throw in Commodore (which is between Admiral and Captain), things get even more confusing.  Any of these three ranks would control multiple ships.  But being both Admiral and Captain, while
 reporting to a Commodore, is contradictory.

  I know that this pattern of rank has been in place for hundreds of years, but I honestly couldn’t say when it started, or even if this rank structure is at all period.

  I guess I should have stopped to consider that this is the SCA, where the unusual is the norm.  And being a Captain as a head of household is something completely outside of what I’d considered.

  I’m not trying to cause trouble on this.  I just have trouble making your ranks work within the rank structure as I know.