[Namron] Fwd: [mooneschadowe] Community - a definition

Susan Campbell arspudsmom at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 15:00:03 PST 2006

Figured we could take a page from the Mooneschadowe list...
  Ldy Susannah Blackthorne

  To: mooneschadowe at yahoogroups.com
From: Deborah Sweet <dssweet at okstate.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:55:22 -0600
Subject: [mooneschadowe] Community - a definition

So I was in this class called "The Indispensable Employee" all afternoon
today, and the presenter gave us some information about a study done with
college & university presidents called "In Search of Community" (Boyer
1989). It listed the six principles that define the kind of community
every college and university should strive to have. Well, I sat there
thinking "that defines how Mooneschadowe operates fairly accurately". So
maybe the borg-brain is reproducible?!

So I'll replace college/university with SCA branch and we'll see how it
sounds.

#1 - First, an SCA branch is an educationally purposeful community. A
place where members share goals and work together to strengthen teaching
and learning in the branch.

#2 - Second, an SCA branch is an open community. A place where freedom of
expression is uncompromisingly protected and where civility is powerfully
affirmed.

#3 - Third, an SCA branch is a just community. A place where the
sacredness of the person is honored and where diversity is aggressively
pursued.

#4 - Fourth, an SCA branch is a disciplined community. A place where
individuals accept their obligations to the group and where well defined
governance procedures guide behavior for the common good.

#5 - Fifth, an SCA branch is a caring community. A place where the
well-being of each member is sensitively supported and where service to
others is encouraged.

#6 - Sixth, an SCA branch is a celebrative community. One in which the
heritage of the group is remembered and where rituals affirming both
tradition and change are widely shared.

I know, deep thinking before Gulf Wars -- but maybe it could be a topic of
discussion on the long drive down.

Estrill

        Living history   Used car history   Vehicle history