Heraldic Submissions (was [Namron] Duncan)

William Herron fitzbubba at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 15:58:26 PST 2006

> >From what I understand (although it's not pronounced the same).
> Actually, now that I think about it, what is the meaning behind your name
> Bubba?  From what I understand, Fitz denotes a patronymic (son of), but
> you've got it combined with a location right? What gives?  Inquiring Heralds
> want to know.
>
> Donnchadh
>
> Matthias the Brewer wrote:
>
>  There is a town in France named Bubba?

There was a 10th-12th century town in France called Buba or Bube.  We found
it in the (unabridged, of course) Oxford English Dictionary up at the Norman
Public Library.  Fitz, being "son of" was a period naming practice...a
person would be "son of" or "daughter of" a location, though it was more
common with men.  And William was an easy one with an English persona.

We wrote it up and sent it through the College.  They accepted it without
modifications.

Bubba