[Namron] Communication

Lee McGoodwin etienett at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 13:08:45 PDT 2006

Just thought everyone could refresh their memories on
email etiquette known as netiquette.  Or, those new to
emailing would have a good resource.

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html

In service to the Dream,
Etienett

--- Ulf Gunnarsson <ulfie at cox.net> wrote:

> Radei Drchevich wrote:
> > May I ask a serious question.  Why does everyone
> make communication so
> > difficult?  Why not use the media available to
> thier fullest?
>
> You've heard a few reasons.  I would add my
> favorite.  Email is
> effectively a quarter of a century old. (It's a
> little older, but that
> sounds better.)  Most people have only been using it
> since the World
> Wide Web explosion in the mid 1990's.  Many of the
> people on this list
> started emailing after that and are only casual
> users at best.
>
> All this means that it is *our* current generation
> developing email
> etiquette.  Our parents did not teach us this, and
> neither did our
> school teachers.  We have only one another to look
> at for example.
>
> Bad manners precede good, and most people here
> understand the terms
> "flame war" and "net rage".  The mailing lists allow
> the careful
> deliberation of written and the near-instant speed
> of a telephone call.
> This is a powerful marriage, but has drawbacks.
> Have you ever been in a
> multi-storied schoolhouse or mall and seen a kid on
> one level yell an
> insult to some bully on another level, knowing he
> can run away before
> the bully can reach him?
>
> So some of the posters on this list, or rather, the
> people on this list,
> try to reread their emails before sending in order
> to make sure the
> email says what they intended and would be hard to
> misinterpret.  When
> posting, they remember that while some people are
> veteran users of
> email, some are still intimidated by computers in
> general, let alone
> electronic mail.  They remember that words sent here
> are practically
> written with a permanent marker on the side of their
> house, visible for
> decades to anyone who simple drives past.  In short,
> they think before
> they post.
>
> I would not say this makes communication more
> difficult.  It actually
> helps with communication by cutting down on the
> number of ripple
> messages any one post generates.  I agree that it
> slows down some
> avenues of communication, limiting them from their
> full speed.  But I
> also think that the speed-limiting governors placed
> on American
> automobiles have kept many people from killing one
> another on public
> highways, and I see this as a good analogy.
>
> Finally, I'll throw in a second reason.  Mailing
> lists have become a
> good place to harvest information that some folks do
> not want
> [...]

No light shines on the mind protected
No light shines on the fangs neglected
Run with the wolfpack.      (song lyrics)