[Namron] Events

Brad Stanley vortmax at cox.net
Tue Oct 17 10:55:48 PDT 2006

Samarrah bint Annaan wrote:

> Perhaps instead of just making one or two people the autocrats or
> stewards of an event, we should have a board or committee
> overseeing events.  This way there is strength in numbers and we don't
> wear out good people who do one or two events and then are so
> exhausted and worn out and mentally deflated afterward that they
> hardly want to play with us anymore, much less run another event! LOL.
Such an entity does exist, it's called the Officers of the Barony of
Namron.  Event planning is usually spearheaded by the Event Steward, but
the entire Officer Corps, as well as the B&B, are supposed to assist and
advice on parts of the event.  The Knight Marshall sees to the running
of the list.  The A&S Minister oversees any A&S displays/competitions.
The Minister of Children (hugs Pookums) tends to the childrens
activities.  The Hospitaler sees the newcomers are introduced to the
event.  The Treasurer handles gate and monetary disbursements.  The
Seneschal handles document signing and general oversight as well as
emergencies that may crop up.  The B&B assist and advise on issues
pertaining to the Crown and other matters.

So, we do have a "board" for event management, even if it's not overtly
visible.  I also cannot emphasize the importance of DELEGATION once the
event is underway.  Even if one person can just do one little thing,
it's one less thing for the already overworked staff to do.

> Also, instead of everyone picking the event apart on the list, what if
> we had a suggestion box that the committee/steward could collect and
> review without feeling like a whipping boy/girl?  I KNOW there are
> ALWAYS problems at events, and ALWAYS room for improvement, but surely
> we can find a constructive way of making suggestions while we are also
> thanking those who put so much effort into trying to please us for a
> long weekend....
As mentioned in a previous message, we do have post-event meetings to go
over the good and bad of each event.  I will announce our meeting for
Protectorate XXX within the next 28 days.

---
Lord Thomas of Weathershear
Seneschal Namron
(m.k.a. Brad Stanley)