[Namron] Camp Ek-O-Weh

Isobel de Kirkbryde kirkbryde at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 12:18:37 PDT 2006

Anya,

  If you want to do that, I will cheerfully pack up both my power chair  and my wheelchair and go with you to see how accessible sites are for  both.  I remember being in the wheelchair full time and finding  that even at non-SCA locations, things that are labeled handicapped  accessible are NOT.

  So, my next question is how do we decide what sites need to be  evaluated?  If we can come up with a list, I will do my  part.  I think it is only fair for me to put myself on the line  with this as Guild Head of the Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis (as this  is one of our primary focuses).

  Let's get a list and get out there.  I'm ready and willing if you are!

  Lady Isobel

Jennene Stanley <Mooharpist at cox.net> wrote:  Just a few cents.....

I  personally rather like Camp Ek-O-Weh. We spoke with the Keeper and he  told us they're planning to put in RV hook-ups as well. They will be  placed in the general area where we were camped (near the pool).

I  have a power scooter for when the RA is acting up but it is useless at  Cimmeron.  However I have to have my portable manor in order to  event or I am in down town pain city.

What  I think we might be able to do over these winter months is go over  *all* of the sites that we have available in the north and come up  with a comprehensive dossier on each. (Although I agree with Deidre  that we need to secure sites for the upcoming events soon)

 Each  interested party (handicap accessibility, horse people, fighters  etc.....) could input their information. For example, I could volunteer  to address the RV accessibility and ease of each site. (i.e.  hook-ups, dump stations and other technical information). That way  when an event stewart needs to make a decision the information is  there.  It would help the event stewart evaluate the pros and cons  of each site.

 Most  people are not going to be qualified to know what makes for a  handicapped accessible site and will in error think that a ramped port  a pot is all we need. They are not trying to be unfeeling  of callous. It is ignorance. Most people are not going to know the  basic needs of horses.  We need have have information presented to  our event stewarts in a manner that the best decisions can be made that  meet the basic needs to the best of our ability.

Thanks for wading through my verbiage,

HL Anya Gordon Lamont
Northern Regional Scribe
m.k.a.
Jennene Stanley
"Vanity working on a weak mind
produces every sort of mischief"
      -Jane Austen

Lady Isobel de Kirkbryde
Deputy Hospitaler, Barony of Namron
Guild Head of the Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Member of Clann Lochlan