[Namron] Event list

Monica Healy mrsjacq at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 15:54:21 PDT 2006

Working coffee pots on each tree. My hubbie would love that!

Has our group ever looked in to GirlScout camp red rock? As a pre teen I
camped there a lot there was a stable and good sized ring as well as trails
for riding. The dining hall is really big too. Just an idea hope it helps.
Veronique
(Monica)

On 10/18/06, Ulf Gunnarsson <ulfie at cox.net> wrote:

> I really wasn't going to post.  Really, I wasn't.  But, oh!  I couldn't
> help myself.
>
> Just before Protectorate last year, a list of 8 possible new sites was
> posted. They all had some accessibility features.  The list wasn't
> ignored.  We have even used one: Lake Murray.  The others were farther
> away.  Roman Nose is just under two hours and is too small for
> Protectorate.  The rest were over two hours, and one on the list was
> well over seven hours away (via the Texas panhandle).
>
> We've gone looking for sites before.  We've rejected sites before, and
> sometimes purely on accessibility issues. Some we've rejected for
> inadequacies for the activities of the particular event, such as lack of
> suitable equestrian area or having only enough space for a very small
> list field.
>
> This doesn't mean we cannot keep looking, and it doesn't mean we cannot
> change our events or alter our expectations to allow for sites that have
> been passed over.  But there will be some shortcomings to balance.
> Kitchens, showers, equestrian areas, list fields, fees under $10, ...
> generally something has to go to get the others.
>
> So here is my list for Protectorate, or part of it, of things I look for
> in a site.  It is not in any order, as my priorities and yours are
> certainly different (coffee pot accessibility outweighing all other
> things...)
>
> -----------
>
> Large enough area with level ground and no holes for a list field,
> safety ropes, and surrounding pavilions.
>
> Area suitable for equestrian activities (larger, flatter, and absolutely
> no holes)
>
> Area for corralling horses.
>
> Parking for a few hundred vehicles real close to the camping.
>
> Accessible for wheelchairs and gimpy old barons.
>
> Area for a hafla (can be at list field in a pinch, but...)
>
> Kitchen for cooking a feast for 150+
>
> A hall big enough to seat a feast for 150+
>
> A permanent pavilion or two
>
> Showers
>
> Hot showers
>
> Flush toilets
>
> Restricted access to the site
>
> Alcohol allowed
>
> Garbage dumpsters
>
> Running water at multiple spigots
>
> An ice machine
>
> A working land-line telephone
>
> Close to a hospital
>
> Close to a grocery store
>
> Close to a Wal-Mart or equivalent
>
> Within 1.5 hours of Norman, OK
>
> Lacking complex directions to get there
>
> Multiple electrical outlets at each camp area
>
> Established fire rings
>
> Cabins
>
> Archery area
>
> Insect and varmit control
>
> Costs that can be turned into a site fee of $10 or less.
>
> The ability to drive the car up to one's camping area to unload
>
> Access to site even in heavy rain
>
> Good run-off
>
> Lack of mundanity in view or on site

> [...]

Love is the answer.