[Namron] Curmudgeonry (Ignore if you don't want another rant)

Craig Pharaoh sherdana at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 12:26:02 PDT 2006

Curmudgeonry
It all comes down to a simple question.  As a long established branch of the
SCA, Inc. (or even as a brand new group), do the officers enforce the bylaws
and policies of the parent body, this being the SCA, Inc. when they are
being publically violated?

It is not about private parties and private 'stitch and witches' or such, it
is about the public, on a Namron or other SCA forum, promotion of a
violation of Corpora Policy, Federal Law and State Statue.

I have never heard of someone being denied the chance to attend a scribal
night, just because he or she couldn't hold a brush.  I have never been to
or heard of a 'stitch and witch' where gender privacy for fittings couldn't
be found in another room.  I have heard of events being held and
non-accessable sites, underage drinking, illegal use of controlled
substances, and NONE of these things are allowed or advertised by SCA
POLICY.  Promoting any private party on the SCA message boards, Ansteorra
message boards, Namron message boards and even SCA related yahoogroups and
newsgroup is something that should be carefully considered, and the officers
in charge of the groups should be aware that these things could cause
problems from the mundane legal entities of the SCA, Inc., the State of
Oklahoma, and even Federal regulators.  In light of the complaints, and
actions of the various mundane groups mentioned, to punish violators of the
various rules against discrimination in Corporations, and Federally
recognized NPO's with a certain level of membership, and various pending
court actions, this is no longer a funny thing that can be dismissed with a
wink and a nod.  I would not have personally brought this to the Namron
forum, except that I am replying to the reposting from another group, by a
member of this forum.

I am regretful that the matter was brought here in the first place.  I felt
that it should have been handled in private communication between the
officers of the Barony, not posted to the Namron newsgroup to try and gain
vindication and sympathy for someone who was scolded, when they made a
public post to another list.

Yes, I do care about the laws and law enforcement.  It is abiding by the
policies of the SCA, Inc. that allow us to have our interactions, use public
places for free, get tax deductions, and interact together.

Be well, be safe, and obey the rules (at least in public!)

Caius Fabius the curmudgeon