[Namron] Sea Salt

Grimmie ldgrimhun at cox.net
Tue Sep 5 09:39:45 PDT 2006

Some Great Salt Lake Plains Oklahoma Ancient Sea Salt information.

Referenced from:
http://www.greatsaltplains.com/crystals.htm#Welcome

"The Salt Plains are a vast expanse of mud, completely devoid of vegetation,
located in north central Oklahoma.  The name, Salt Plains, is derived from
the this layer of salt which covers the flats.  The Salt Plains were formed
millions of years ago by repeated flooding of sea water that became trapped
in the area.  The water evaporated leaving large deposits of salt.  This
salt was used by Indian tribes and early pioneers who first settled the
area.

Selenite is a crystallized form of gypsum.  Chemically, it is a hydrous
calcium sulfate.  Gypsum is a common mineral which takes on a great variety
of crystal forms and shapes.  On the Salt Plains, the crystals are formed
just below the salt encrusted surface."
End Reference....

Referenced from:
http://www.fws.gov/saltplains/selenite.html
"The salt plains are a unique geological area; the 11,000-acre barren area
is near perfectly flat with a wafer thin salt crust. It is classified as the
"largest such saline flat in the central lowlands of North America".

The salt was formed by repeated flooding by sea water millions of years ago.
The sea water was cut off from the sea and evaporated, depositing thick
layers of salt. The area was subsequently covered by erosion from mountain
ranges.

Below the plains, ground water travels through the salt-saturated sand and
comes to the surface where it evaporates, leaving the crust of salt. The
concentrated saline solution combines with gypsum to promote selenite
crystal growth in a portion of the salt flats.

Selenite is a crystallized form of gypsum. Chemically, it is a hydrous
calcium sulfate. Gypsum is a common mineral that takes on a great variety of
crystal forms and shapes. On the Salt Plains, the crystals are formed just
below the salt encrusted surface."
End Reference....

Now for what Grimmie have to say.

This Ancient Sea Salt is a very very light pink from the iron oxide in the
water and it a fine grain.
The Salt and Selenite come out of suspension at different saturation points.
The Salt (Sodium Chloride with other trace minrals) is first and forms on
the serface, then the Selenite Crystal (Gypsum) is at a lower level.

The Salt is on the surface it is white and tastes like strong salt.
The Selenite Crystal's are about 4" up to 20" below the surface they are
clear with some iron oxide and sand in them forming a Hourglass shape inside
the crystal. It has a light salt taste to it but it is the reside from the
salt water.

I collected Ancient Sea Salt in large clumps on the surface or in the bottom
of pools.
Though I used heat to dissolve, concentrate and sterilize the Lake Sea Salt
I harvested.
(Yes heat it in clay pots over a open fire is one of the ways they removed
the water and the other is sun dry in ponds.)

It is highly recommended that this Lake Sea Salt not be used for internal
consumption. DO NOT EAT IT.

And from Michael Fenwick:
"and you won't like what it does to food". It tastes like strong Salt not
Gypsum.

It is Ancient Sea Salt with a lot of other minerals in it, like all
unprocessed Sea Salt, though maybe some things that you do not want to
consume. Do to the fact the water where the Salt is collected is run off
from farm land and may have a high nitrates levels and other farm chemicals
in it, also water from municipal storm drains which could have any number of
contaminates which you do not want in your body. It should be only be used
for EXTERNAL APPLICATIONS ONLY. It was boiled and filtered before allowing
it to crystallize and then sun dry.

Anyone for a full body Sea Salt scrub followed by oil rub down and scraping?
It would be period would it not?

Yes I did a little home work. The rest will be in the A&S document if  I
deside to do it.
Grimmie
Jack of all trades Master of none.
A Tired and Old SCAdian since AS XIV lol