[Namron] Who is the new B&B (lan gu age and speling?) :D

Craig Pharaoh sherdana at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 12 13:09:12 PDT 2006

>From: V Scribe <vscribe at cox.net>
>Subject: Re: [Namron] Who is the new B&B
>Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:35:07 -0500
>
>'Since he will be our Baron shortly',(How short is he?  Are
we supposed to call him Dvncvn, the Baron Shortly?)

let's all learn how to spell his
>name:
>
>Donnchadh, not Duncan.

(That's not very period, if you are not a scribe or a literate decendant of
the Erse raiders who inhabited the northern wilds of the British Isle, and
were called Scotti to distinquish them from the Picts...., you would spell
it like it sounds to you, just look at the Roman or Old English
spellings....

I mean, what literate Roman really cares how the barbarians spell their
names? )

>If I had to learn how to spell it, so should you all.  (If you are a
>scribe)

(How do you spell Beret Fizzwater Renolds, anyway?  Where is the proper
genitive masculine ending for that name? Beretius Fizzwaterius Renaldii?)

Just kidding, of course!  If you want to write about or to a person, you
should learn how they spell their name, using latin alphabet letters, for
the most part.  The scribes rarely will put the actual names in any other
alphabet, and should not be expected to read most other alphabets... but
they do expect you to figure out the foreign and twisted translations into
latin alphabets.... go figure.

CAIVS FABIVS