[Namron] suggestion

Susan Adkins susanmomof2 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 23 14:18:41 PDT 2007

Cool Interesting and way above my capabilites.

Would happily donate it to someone who couched :)

Agnese

mikea <mikea at mikea.ath.cx> wrote: On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 01:27:38PM -0700, Susan Adkins wrote:
> What is "couched"?  Agnese

It's a technique in which threads are raised above the base fabric. A
wonderful example of it is Sir Winston Churchill's Garter robe, in the
museum in Fulton Missouri. The museum, BTW, is in a church designed by
Sir Christopher Wren, transplanted from England to Missouri; the
building is entirely admirable in its own right.

Google on `couching or "couched work"'. Then Google the images. Drool.

The badges on the Garter robes in

are couched work. If these are typical Garter badges, much of the
surface is gold bullion thread; I don't know what the non-visible work
is.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO

  Susan mom to Carl and Brigetta wife to Marc