[Namron] Kathryn's recipie

ksullivan6 at cox.net ksullivan6 at cox.net
Tue Jul 3 13:19:11 PDT 2007

Sag
Ain I Akbari no. 9
Sag: It is made of spinach, and other greens, and is one of the most pleasant dishes. 10 s. spinach, fennel, etc., 1
1/2 s. ghee; 1 s. onions; 1/2 s. fresh ginger; 5 1/2 m. of pepper; 1/2 m. of cardamons and cloves; this gives six
dishes. [for units see p. 6]
10 oz spinach, fresh or frozen 2/3 oz fresh ginger 1/20 t cloves
3 oz fennel 1/2 t pepper 2 oz = 4 T ghee (clarified butter)
1 1/3 oz onions 1/20 t cardamon
Peel and chop ginger. Wash and chop the greens and onion, put them in a pot with everything else except the ghee, plus 1/4 c water. Cook about 35 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add ghee. Cook another few minutes, stirring occasionally.
We have no cooking instructions for this dish, only ingredients and quantities; we are going by a recipe for Saag in a modern Indian cookbook. An alternative interpretation is that the greens etc. are fried in the ghee. The recipe refers to “other greens”: cabbage, sorrel, and mint are mentioned in the Ain I Akbari.
after boiling them, as has been indicated. When it is done, put it on the hearthstone and squeeze over it some coriander juice. He who wants this dish as a muthallath, let him add vinegar and saffron.
Translator’s note: I admit these instructions are puzzling, but I'm going with the idea of cabbage rather than cauliflower for two reasons: the recipe calls for cabbage, while Arabic has a word for cauliflower; and “throw away the rest of the leaves until it remains white like the turnip”suggests a vegetable with a non-white color in its outer parts. I'm figuring the heart of the cabbage is being treated like turnip. It may be that the cabbages available were not very leafy; and the recipe calls for a “coarse” cabbage. (Charles Perry)
1 lb lamb with excess fat cut off 1/2 t coriander 1 medium onion
1/2 t salt 1/2 t caraway seed .85 lb cabbage heart
1/2 t pepper 1/3 c olive oil ~ 3 T cilantro, packed
Cut off outer leaves, parboil cabbage heart 10 minutes and drain. Mix all ingredients and bring to a boil, cook 10 minutes covered and 5 minutes uncovered. Chop cilantro and grind with 2 T water, pour off juice, add to dish and let simmer a couple of minutes.

--
Work hard,keep the ceremonies,live peaceably, and unite your hearts.
(Hopi)