[Namron] class descriptions for laurels Field Day

Genevria di Betto genevria at cox.net
Mon Jul 30 15:31:36 PDT 2007

Greetings,

Below I have included a copy of the class schedule for Laurels Field Day that includes the class descriptions that many of the instructors have sent to me.  It is a little choppy as I cut and pasted the descriptions with some minor editing for the most part.

Please do let me know if I can answer any questions for you.  We are looking forward to a great day.  My goodness!  I just took a final count and we have 22 classes and 5 workshops.

Also, remember that this is the same day as the regional fighter practice.  We will have maps available for those who will be traveling the very short distance between locations.  The fighter practice starts at 2:00.

i will be putting out a sign up sheet for volunteers later today.  Please be thinking about where you could help.  We will need people for the sign in gate, runners for messges and help getting instructurs set up with there supplies and things, a set up crew, a close up crew, and a second crew for the cook out clean up.  Some of the supplies we are hoping to have loaned for the day include some paint tarps to protect the union, and grills for the cook out.  You might also want to think about what you are bringing to the cook out to share.  i thought we might start a list so we do not end up with tables full of the same thing

in Service,

Genevria

http://namron.ansteorra.org/events/laurelfieldday.html

Track 1

10:00 Norse Nalbinding,  Mammen Stitch (2 hours) by Faolan Macfarlan

This is a hands on class learning the Mammen Stitch for up to six students.  Students should bring a nalbinding needle if they have one.

2:00 An Over view of Period Embroidery by Gwyneth of Ramsey Mere, OL

3:00 Beginning Black Work by Margarite du Battenhelm

Class Description: This class will cover the basic's of what black work

is, what it was used for, how it was done, what stitches were used, and how

to do a simple item. There will be time during and after class to start a

simple item with the help of the instructor.  will have supplies

& handouts for 10.  Students need to bring:  A willing ear and an open mind. If student

wishes to start a project larger than 6 X 6 inches they should bring

sufficient even weave fabric for the project. If the student normally uses

an embroidery hoop, a small (5 inch) hoop will be useful.  No fees are required, donations to offset expenses will be gratefully

accepted.

4:00 Your Embroidery Project with Mistress Gwyneth and HL Margarite

This is your opportunity to work on a project with expert guidance.  The instructors from the two previous embroidery classes will be their as consultants on your work in progress, or to comment on other projects.

Track 2

10:00 Design Your Own Beer by Oxlade Lachlan MacKinnon, OL

11:00 About Beer, A Discussion with Oxlade Lachlan MacKinnon, OL

2:00  On Herbs by Abdullah Mohammed ben a Asani

3:00 culinary use of spices and herbs by Katherine atte Unicorn

The culinary use of spices and herb and a small listing of which period cookbooks they are in

4:00 Heraldry for Dummies (and non-heralds too) by Emma de Fetherstan, Bordure herald

de Fetherstan, Bordure Herald, about any and all matters heraldic. From

voice heraldry (list, field, and site) to book heraldry (names, armory, the

submission process in general) to matters of protocol (precedence and

awards), and everything in-between, ask any question you like and Emma will

try to come up with an answer that's actually correct!

Track 3

11:00 Layered Painting on Wood by Kelandra Carmichael

Students will have a short discussion on painting techniques during the Renaissance on wooden panels.  Students will get to practice

their own painting using preset templates and designs.  Students will learn about the order that was used in painting, some different sources of paint

and how it should be applied.  We will be painting so you might want to wear something you don't mind getting paint on.  If you have your own paint brushes

you can bring these as well but I will have extras.  This class is limited to 10 students and is adults only.

2:00 Story Telling (two hour class) by Finnacan Dub, OL

An in-depth look at the many aspects of storytelling, including story construction, plot-lining, characterization and performance ethics.

4:00 Poetic Aerobics by Ulf Gunnarsson, OL

Track 4

9:00 to 12:00 Making Leather Scabbards by Tadhg macAedain uiConchobhair

Students need to bring:  Their own knives and/or scabbards.  There will be a $3 to $15 supply fee for materials, depending upon size of blade.  This class is limited to 15 students.

2:00 History of Jestery by Sebastiana Gerynot Fanelli

This will be a discussion on the

History of Jesters through the ages, including

History, types, differences and whatever other

tomfoolery I can answer.

3:00 Basic Garb:  Construction of a T-tunic and Bog Dress by Meraud de Dun Carraig

Track 4

10:00 Cotton Spinning by Debroa bat Yosef

11:00 Soap Stone Casting by Damon Hroarsson,

This is an introduction to basic pewter casting using soapstone molds.  This includes a discussion early in the day and then people go carve their mold and we cast once

they have something to work with.  The casting will be at the park following fighter practice.  There is a $3 fee for materials.

2:00 List mistressing 101 by Maleah Farasha Raushana bint Abdullah

3:00 Beginning Calligraphy, the Uncial Alphabet (two hours) by David of Skorragardr

Uncial is a long-lived alphabet that dates back to at least the third

century.  It is an all capital (or majuscule) alphabet that is very

beautiful even in it's simple forms.  There are many variations of uncial

that developed through the centuries.  A variation, called insular, was used

in the famous Book of Kells.

Recommended to bring:

1)  A broad tip calligraphy pen, preferably 2-3mm wide.  This can be either

a felt tip marker pen or cartridge ink pen.  You may also use a dip type pen

if you already know how to use it.

2)  A good 12" - 15" ruler that has a smooth edge and clear markings.

3)  A sharp pencil or pen

4) A plastic protractor if you have one.

Paper for practice and note taking will be provided in the handouts.  A

donation to cover the cost of the copies will be appreciated.  A few fiber

tip marker pens will be available to purchase for $2.

 Track 5

10:00 English Country Dances from Playford's 1st Edition (2 hours) by Helene Quivremont

 2:00 Basic to Intermediate Middle Eastern Dance by Fayidah binte Asad umm Jawhar

3:00 Dances That Can Be Done in a Circle by Helene Quivremont

Workshops

9-12 Pierced Metal Work by Aethelstan Aethelmearson, Ol

Structural Soldering by Beorhtlic Folcwinesone, OL

Forge Craft by Tarl Godric, OL

Painted Wallhanging Workshop by (Stacia) Anastacia Marie Travarra, OL

Nalbinding by arrangement with Alix Tiberga, OL