[Namron] [namron_cooks] Medieval Cooks Night...this time it's Irish...recipes

Chuck Graves ld_tadhg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 21 21:33:23 PDT 2007

Greetings,

Here are the recipes:
Scotch Eggs
8                    hard-boiled eggs
                      flour
2          lbs     pork sausage
1 1/2    cp     fresh breadcrumbs
2          tsp    mace
1/2       tsp    salt
1/2       tsp    pepper
2                    eggs, beaten
Remove the shells from the hard-boiled eggs and dust with flour. Set aside.
Roll out the pork sausage on a flat surface. In a shallow bowl, mix the
breadcrumbs with the mace, salt, and pepper. Take each hard-boiled egg and
dip into the beaten eggs, then wrap it in the sausage meat until it is
completely covered. It is easiest to do this with your fingers. The meat
should be about 1/2 inch thick around each egg.
Once the egg is completely covered, roll it in the bread-crumb mixture. When
all the eggs have been prepared this way, heat the oil and deep fry the eggs
until golden brown.

Sweet Peas with Mint
1        lb    frozen peas
1/4    cp    butter
2    Tbsp   chopped fresh mint
1        tsp   sugar
dash          salt
dash          pepper
Cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside. In another
saucepan heat the butter until melted. Add the peas, mint, and sugar. Toss
and heat gently for several minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper
and serve.

Beets with Cloves and Cinnamon
1        lb    small beets
                 water to cover
1/4    cp    butter
dash        ground cloves
dash        ground cinnamon
dash        salt
dash        pepper
Wash the beets and cut off the stalks; do not remove the skins.  Drop into a
pan of boiling, salted water and cook until tender--about 45 minutes to 1
hour. If the skin comes off easily, they are done. Peel the beets and
discard the cooking water. Return the beets to the saucepan and toss for a
few minutes with the cloves, cinnamon, and butter. Season to taste with salt
and pepper.

Shortbread
1 1/4    cp         flour
4          Tbsp    sugar
pinch               salt
1          stick     butter
1          tsp        farina
1                        egg yolk
2         Tbsp      milk
                          vanilla sugar (flavored sugar)
Sift together the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut the butter into cubes and rub
in with your fingers until mixture is crumbly. Make a well in the center of
the bowl and pour in the egg yolk and milk. Work into a smooth dough.
Transfer the dough to an 8-inch cake pan and spread it evenly out to the
sides. Crimp the edges with a fork and mark into slices. Prick with a fork.
Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 400 degrees and
bake the shortbread for 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to 300 degrees and
bake for an additional 30 minutes. The shortbread should be a pale golden
color. Remove from the oven and cut it into slices while it is still warm.
Do not attempt to remove from pan until it has cooled. Sprinkle with vanilla
sugar before serving.

Regards,
Tadhg
...Brick by brick