[Namron] Period Spices and dyes Crocus sativus (Saffron bulb producing flowers)

Siren Song sirensong13 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 10:03:53 PST 2007

AH ha! THANK YOU Master Michael. I knew not of the poison!

Siobhan

mikea <mikea at mikea.ath.cx> wrote: On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 09:51:19AM -0800, Siren Song wrote:
> I am thinking about buying some bulbs to plant and try to harvest
>some Saffron. According to what I can find they grow in our "zone"
>
> Does anyone know a good place in or around Shawnee / OKC / Norman to
>buy them or a good mail order bulb place?
>
> If I have to mail order does anyone else want to get some
> so we can buy in bulk? I understand it takes a few plants
> to make enough for your own kitchen let alone to share :)
> http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/store/product.asp?dept_id=91&pf
> _id=1241&mscssid=F4AHVVA7C is what i found so far...

Greetings, Siobhan!

You might try Horn Seed. They're big, and pretty good to work with.

It is vitally, CRITICALLY important that you get the _edible_ Saffron
Crocus, and not the common ornamental Crocus. The ornamental Crocus
contains Colchicine, which is a very nasty poison, and MUST NOT BE
EATEN.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO

Lady Siobhan inghean ui Tigernaigh
http://www.bellaonline.com/site/renaissance
It's not the color of the Text but how you use it.