[Namron] War & Goliards

an angel in black ink angelinblackink at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 7 13:26:52 PDT 2008

To my kingdom,

  I do not know if all of you know who I am, or what I have been involving myself in over
  the past few years in this kingdom.  My name is Xue XianXian and, I assure you, I am
  not dissatisfied with the SCA.  In fact, I love it and you so very much that I have been
  doing anything I can to try and make things easier and more fun at every event I’ve gone
  to for quite a while.

  I would first like to state that the Goliards were European performers and writers who,
  were dissatisfied with the Church.  They performed and wrote Latin satire to goad the
  individuals they targeted into rethinking their motives and actions and scorned the
  incorrect actions that the target had committed.  This is a documented movement.  This is
  IN PERSONA. This is not a threat to anyone who hasn’t been acting a fool at the
  expense of their own people.

  Many people have problems with the SCA, the kingdom, or their individual groups.
  They always have and always will.  This is simply the way of things.  Throughout history
  scholars, warriors, artisans, and layman have come together to discuss and deal with
  their problems in many ways.  We are all aware of the fact that none of us are perfect
  and it wouldn’t be fair to ask anyone to become so.  However, it is fair to ask people to
  consider themselves, if for no other reason than for the good of their community.  This
  group is a community.  Why is it so wrong to see someone doing something awful and
  say something about it?  It simply CAN’T be.

  I do not ask you all to agree with me or to join me, as it seems that some of you are
  greatly bothered by the actions that my comrades and I have been recently involved in.
  For that, I am terribly sorry.  I have never sought to breed this creature known as dissent
  among the people of Ansteorra.  In fact, I wish for us to all be happy and fairly treated.
  I want us to all feel like a family once more.  That would be the greatest thing I could
  ever live to see.  You see, we should all be trying to have fun with each other, not be
  blinded and splintered by ‘stubborn assumptions’.  By stubborn assumptions, I mean the
  fact that we are a community but we do not fully perceive ourselves as one.  We see
  threats and treacherous thinking in every shadow and it, in turn, separates us from people
  who we should not in fact be separating ourselves from.  I have said many times I seek
  not to use my words to topple an empire; I seek an empire to topple my words.

  As for the word we have used many times: War.  We are not declaring war upon
  anyone.  We are declaring war on the things that keep attempting to destroy us all as a
  whole; the IDEA of dissent and unhappiness that seems to be seeping in through the
  cracks.  If this is not enough to convince you then I suggest you watch us closely.  Only
  by our actions can we truly be seen for what we are, and what we are is far from destructive.

  (Now, on a more personal note:
  I choose to associate with Her Grace Willow de Wisp because I respect her and her
  part in creating/molding this kingdom and Dream.  I for one do not care if anyone
  questions my motives due to my associations.  I mean no disrespect; I simply seek to
  clarify.)

  In service to everyone’s Dream,

  Yu Xue XianXian
  Gypsy Queen of the Miscreants,
  Queen of Misrule of the Court of Miracles,
  and SPOON

at Large

  “Never judge a man by the gifts he bears.”

   -Chinese Proverb