[Namron] SCA in space

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at cox.net
Sun Oct 12 11:00:29 PDT 2008

For those of you not subscribed to the kingdom mailing list
(ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org), one of our own has made it in to space.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081012/ap_on_sc/as_kazakhstan_russia_space

Don Shamino of Bryn Gwlad, mka Richard Garriott of Austin, TX, aka Lord
British the creator of "Ultima", headed into space today.

You can watch the launch on NASATV (of course):

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/schedule.html

There is some discussion about whether or not we now have a shire in
space and what will this do to our zip code policies... quite fun.

This gives us our first real approximation of SCA years to mundane
years.  It has been 33 years since the Viking mission launched into the
new frontier.  The Vikings discovered America around 1000 A.D. and the
later-period Spanish-funded expedition didn't hit until 1492.  So that
makes... 15 real years to one S.C.A. year. Q.E.D. *grin*

Ulf Gunnarsson
Viking Astrophysicist