[Namron] OT: Meatsword

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Fri Apr 17 12:24:19 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 01:45:58PM -0500, Robert Atwood wrote:
> Hrm... The real problem with a smart-crown would be the user
> interface.  Vocal commands would work for input, but the output would
> have to be completely invisible to avoid looking non-period.
>
> I've got it!  How are you at reading Morse code, yer Excellency?  I
> could probably arrange for an array of tiny hammers mounted in the
> crown to tap out the messages from RSS streams and incoming email...
> how 'bout using the left side for RSS, and the right for SMTP?  That
> would leave the front for text messages and the back for system
> alerts...
>
> Another thought, instead of hammers we could use tiny electric prods
> to stimulate the nerves in meaningful patterns....
>
> I should be able to take care of this for around $1200 and it wouldn't
> weigh much more than 3 pounds (plus the weight of the original
> crown).  I'll get started right away!
>
> <cut forward to a few weeks later, with HE Muriel twitching on the
> throne>
> ALARMED POP MEMBER #1:  Is she having a seisure?
> ROBERT: Nah, somebody just sent her a rather large picture via SMS...
> she'll be fine in a few minutes.
>
> Always happy ta be of service
> Robert o' the Faire

This is an application for which there already exists hardware and
software. The IBM 9976 Mind-Writer, IBM 9977 Mind-Reader, and IBM 9979
Mind Controller, with the IBM Mental Access Method (MAM), are perfectly
suited to this use, and with a little programing on the part of the
system administrators,

For an additional charge, a feature is available that permits full
remote control through the IBM 9976 Mind-Writer. This is the "ZOMB"
feature.

The IBM 9976 Mind-Reader and IBM 9977 Mind-Writer, when used with the
MAM, are capable of reading or writing as many as 1,500,000 ideas per
second.

The existing Baronial Coronet is suitable for use as an antenna for
reception and transmission through an appropriate low-power wideband
radio link, which also is available as a feature at additional charge.
The low-power wideband radio link is qualified under Part 15 of the FCC
Rules and Regulations, and supports the full transaction rate of the
basic hardware and software. Coronets and crowns of higher rank and
estate have proven to limit the idea rate; royal crowns are the most
limited in this respect, being unable to accept more than one or two new
ideas per reign.

The IBM 9976 Mind-Writer actually does allow the operator to change
someone's mind.

The sample software suite included as part of MAM includes a dump-and-
restore application designed to allow particular ideas or notions, or
specific knowledge, to be added to or removed from a user's mind. This
has been noted to be particularly useful in governmental installations.

These devices and their additional features have been in use in the
elected branches of federal, state, and local governments over the past
ten years, and have proved to be extremely reliable.

Please note that before a mind can be read using the IBM 9977
Mind-Reader, it is necessary that something be there to be read. The IBM
9976 Mind-Writer is able to completely blank a mind.

For additional information, please consult your IBM Marketing
Representative or refer to http://www.ibm.com and search for the single
word "Mind" (without the enclosing quotation marks).

9976 and 9977 dimensions, weight, and power requirements: 1.75" high, 19"
wide (standard rack mount, 1 rack unit), 36" deep; 37 pounds; 145 Watts
at 120 Volts AC, 50 or 60 Hertz, or 85 Watts at 240 Volts AC, 50 or 60
Hertz.

9978 dimensions, weight, and power requirements: 5.25" high, 19" wide
(standard rack mount, 3 rack units), 36" deep; 95 pounds; 755 Watts at
120 Volts AC, 50 or 60 Hertz, or 390 Watts at 240 Volts AC, 50 or 60
Hertz.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO