[Namron] OT: Meatsword

Robert Atwood rob at mummersguild.com
Fri Apr 17 13:34:10 PDT 2009

I'm not sure... I've heard there are compatibility problems with the
IBM 997X series which require the regular infusion of IBM 7117 Pixie
Dust.  While the cartridges are quite small, they're only capable of
handling about 1024 (+/- 16) writes before they need to be replaced,
so the cost is, IMHO, prohibitive.  Additionally, the non-IBM custom
unit would work for hours at a time on a relatively small lithium-ion
battery pack, which could be concealed between HE's shoulder blades,
only leaving a small hump.  While there exist powerful generators
which could be hidden beneath, say, the throne, I think HE Muriel
would object to a 46 lb Honda EU2000 generator being strapped to her
back for mobile access requirements, and the equipment rack could be a
bit unwieldy.

In summary, I believe the micro Taser unit solution is much more cost
effective, with the added benefit of additional entertainment for the
populace.  While it may not provide the full range of features
available with the IBM system, but the form-factor and weight
considerations outweigh the loss of features in a mobile application.

*evylle grynne*

-Robert o' the Faire