[Namron] OT: VFW Fund Raising

William Herron fitzbubba at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 13:07:10 PST 2009

I received a phone call today from someone whose Caller ID came up as
PRIVATE.  He said that he was collecting on behalf of the Veterans of
Foreign Wars to purchase phone cards to be sent to our soldiers
overseas.  As I was uncomfortable with the circumstances, I said "no,
thank you".  I then looked up and called the Oklahoma Department of
the VFW to see if they knew about it.  They confirmed that there was a
phone campaign in progress to purchase phone cards to send to soldiers
overseas.

While this phone call may have been legitimate, others may not.
Please be aware that there are a lot of people out there who need
money, and may use less-than-reputable methods to get it.

If you want to donate to an organization like the VFW, I would suggest
to you that you find a way where you can approach them directly with
your donation instead of being solicited for it over the phone.

And never, never, never feel like you have to do something just
because someone calls you on the phone and "encourages" you to do so.

Care,
Bubba