[Namron] lost wax Casting?

Rob rob at mummersguild.com
Tue Jan 6 08:10:01 PST 2009

Pretty different... they reach the same temperatures, but from what
I've heard no one wants to melt metals in their kiln.  We could
probably build a flower-pot furnace for a one-off casting.

I think the biggest difference is a furnace for melting metals is
designed to generate a lot of heat over a small area (the size of a
crucible) for a comparatively short time, where a kiln heats a large
area slowly and cooks for a much longer time.  Brass melts at around
1700 degrees Fahrenheit and I *think* kilns get up to around 2k, but
I'm not sure that it's a good idea to open a kiln at that
temperature. ;)