[Namron] Sites Discussion

John Yates valstarr_hawkwind at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 20:25:56 PDT 2009

Greetings!

   I haven't read through every post on the Coronation disucssion, although I have a fair number of them, and saw Chass mention the Robbers Cave State Park site we used in Rundel's final event.

   While I suspect the final site will be in the OKC area, I would mention another site we used in Rundel, the Pittsburg County Fairgronds. It's not as pretty or scenic as Robbers Cave, but there are some elements that migt be of interest in general to SCA events;

+ A number of very learge outdoor barns; can be used for a variety of uses, even camping and indoor fighting at a pinch. The barns form a semi-curve around an open area that can be used for fighting and other uses, even an outdoor court

+ Southeast Expo Center, which is about 50-70 yards from the barns, has areas that can be leased. There are concession/kitchen facilities there, and the bigest area, which is concrete floored, can seat a few thousand to two smaller areas, the larger of which, I'm guessing, could fold 700-800. It's fully climate controlled, has a small stage (est. 15 x 30 ft.) and I've MCed banquets there, before.

+ A rodeo arena is about 75 yards south of the main Expo building.

+ Located along U.S. 270, the site is about a mile east of the Indian Nations Turnpike, and about 3-4 miles west of the business portion of U.S. 69 Highway in McAlester.

   I graduated high school with the manager of the Expo facaility.

FYI,
Val