[Namron] Lock on the Privy

Miles Grey Kahn at West-Point.org
Wed Mar 25 18:18:15 PDT 2009

JOHN wrote:
> I was thinking the key would go on a BIG hoop or ring which can be kept
> on a table just inside the Hospitality Pavilion.  That way if you need
> to get in there straight away NOW, turning a key is a lot easier than
> fumbling with a combination lock.  And yes, take the lock inside with
> you or else tempt fate of being locked inside :-)

Perhaps now isn't the time to point out that the hardware on the outside
of the privy that allows it to be locked (a hasp, padeye, a pair of
flanges with holes, etc) function by allowing the rigid shackle of the
padlock to be passed through either one hole (in a flange or padeye)
trapping the door or hasp behind it or through two holes (in a matched
pair of flanges) preventing separation of the flanges.  The *lock* part
prevents those whom you do not want to gain access to the privy from being
able to remove the rigid shackle.

Carrying the padlock into the privy with you prevents anyone from locking
the *padlock*, but it does absolutely *nothing* to prevent a
mischievous/scurrilous individual from, say, picking up a stick from the
ground and jamming it in place as if it were the rigid shackle portion of
the padlock.  This would leave you clasping the padlock and its key inside
the privy but still unable to open the door.

Of course, no one would really *do* anything like that.  This thought just
popped into my paranoid little mind completely unbidden.

  Miles Grey