[Namron] The Gibbet Project

Dan Corley okiewriter at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 2 06:45:05 PST 2010

First off.....to make the gibbet lighter and portable. Replace the iron blocks that gave it weight enough to lop off a head with painted wooden blocks. Secondly...replace the big main support timbers with mitered 1 X 6's so it looks solid, but is actually hollow. Hold the entire thing together with wooden pins. even though the original had forged, square nails. Since I HOPE you don't plan on actually using it, the dowell pins, stained to a dark brown, will make it easy yo set up and take down and will be much more portable. Use rough cut boards to make it more authentic looking and stain to make it look used. Make the drop pin from a 2" dowell and again stain it. The original pin was iron, but this will have to support a lot less weight. The pin was on the side with a single support and was greased to slip in and out easier. There was am iron ring on the end of the pin so it could be pulled out by hand. I researched this a lot. As for the blade, I would leave that up to you, but would recmmend painted hard rubber for safety. Wish I could be thee to help build it, but the docs tell me it will be about 6 more months before I can use my right leg without a brace and cane.

Ld. Cormac The Black

Okiewiter