[Namron] Story from Crown Tourney

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 17:21:24 PDT 2010

As a person with utmost respect for the warriors of Ansteorra, including the one that I'm wife to, an avid waterbearer, a spectator, and a paying entrant, I think it sucks.

I think it would be healthier for everyone if we had been inside that spacious and gloriously air conditioned hall. As several people commented, all of our pavillions and the field would have fit inside the hall and we would have had a lot less people needlessly affected by the heat.

I recall a statement made not long after Sir Thomas spoke in favor of our traditions. I remember the Kingdom Chiurgeon commenting that if he had been alerted to Sir Thomas' condition two minutes later, he would have had to call an ambulance.

Two minutes.

I respect Sir Thomas' opinion, but I absolutely disagree with the idea of continued fighting under these conditions. As my husband just stated, it's not a 'tough man' contest, and safety should always come first.

I understand that most of the twenty- something (?) entrants were happy to fight in the heat, but I urge them (and any future summer event autocrats) to consider the people who come out to support our warriors, of which I am one. Please let us gather inside when the heat is at it's worst.

-Rose the Obnoxious

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy marshmallows, which is kind of the same thing.