[Namron] Drumming tonight! (7:00pm)

Michael Graff explorer at flame.org
Wed Jun 16 11:12:51 PDT 2010

- From looking at the poll results, it appears Wednesday nights is the
correct day as everyone who responded can make it or prefers it.

My address is:

   1500 Creekside Dr
   Norman, OK  73071

   Cell:  +1 405.659.6737

Google says we live here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&q=1500+Creekside+Drive,+norman+ok&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=1500+Creekside+Dr,+Norman,+OK+73071&gl=us&ei=JQ8ZTLmxLovSnge1vaSsCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ8gEwAA

I am starting the beginning / intermediate class at 7:00pm and have a
second class, "drumming with melody," starting at 8:00pm.  We will be in
the back yard, weather permitting.  We have limited comfortable outdoor
chairs so bringing one may be wise.

Our back yard is currently not small-child friendly due to a collapsed
pool, so if you bring a little one expect to be doing more watching /
holding than drumming.

I am focusing on middle eastern style drumming, so please try to bring a
middle eastern style drum.  These include the popular dumbek and
darbuka, and do not include the equally popular djembe or congo
(African).  However, if you do not have a middle eastern drum, please
bring what you have and we will make it work.  There are many other
middle eastern style drums, but the initial focus will be on the dumbek.

Contents of the drumming class will be:

  Practice exercises.

  Common middle eastern rhythms.

  Switching rhythms.

  Counting to 10 or more.

  Drummer etiquette.

  Drumming for dancers: a primer.

I hope this is more than one class, so we won't cover all of those
things the first day.  We will add other topics as time progresses.
Please feel free to suggest some!

The "drumming with melody" class will be where we learn some middle
eastern songs.  Any melody instrument is welcome, and the more the
merrier.  We will spend some time on middle eastern music background,
listen to a few songs, and play a few.  I have very limited sheet music
currently so there will be a fair bit of sharing.

I am not certain yet what the exact format will be, but I'll model it
initially after some classes from Pennsic as well as what my
co-instructor will want us to do.

- --Michael