[Namron] The Play's the Thing to Read: OEDIPUS REX

Antigonus Bearbait bardsatlarge at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 23:39:12 PDT 2010

Greetings to all!

Tiggy here.

As promised, the Bunch of Us Readers are back!

Thank you so much for your patience during our two-month hiatus - but the scheduling really just didn't have a time when we could get together.

So, this Saturday 26 June 2010 at 5:00pm is our next reading.

Our June selection is OEDIPUS REX by Sophocles.  Now, this is not only going to be our first non-Shakespearian selection, it is also our first selection that is not written in English - which begs the question of translation.  The very simple fact is that we all want to be on the same page - literally.  <<grin>>

As a matter of note, in my scouring of the Internet, I found some excellent sites for online texts:
-Project Gutenberg (www.gutenberg.org)
-The Perseus Project (www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper)
-Google Books (books.google.com/books)

The translation I have found for us all to use is on Project Gutenberg - so go to www.gutenberg.org, and do a search for "Sophocles" and click on the link for "Oedipus Trilogy (English)."  The easiest format to choose is plain text under Hand Crafted Files - click on "main site."  Once you have the text, you can read it from your computer or a data device, copy and paste it into any word processor and read it from there, you can also print it.  There will be wifi available in the house, so you can read it from your laptop / phone / data device.

As usual, we have a themed potluck - and the theme is Greek food.

We are meeting at Tadhg & Meruaud's house in Norman at 1840 Burnt Oak.

If you have not attended before, this really is a lot of fun.  We are all very casual, no garb required.  Come and join in & read, or you can be promoted to audience and just listen.

Also, we have a Yahoo Group Yahoo group at