[Namron] Wiesenfeuer A&S info

Kimberlee Friend pirateladyeltd at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 08:13:59 PDT 2010

Sorry for the late follow up it's been busy!  A&S  meeting for Sept was great we
had 10-12 people from both Wiesefeuer and Namron.  Very big thank you for Master
Finnacan and his lovely lady Cadhla for showing how to cast pewter using
soapstone molds.  The infomation at the end of the email should help those who
are interested.

October is fast approaching and the A&S class will be on Tuesday Oct 19.
Wiesenfeuers' very own HE Kajira will be teaching Silk Banner Painting.  Class
will be at HL Branislava's and starts at 7pm.  More info and reminders will be
posted as the day gets closer.  As always if you have any questions give me a
call 609-4549 and I'll see if I can help you or point you in the right
direction.

Thanks again to all those who attended and special thanks again to Master
Finnacan and Lady Cadhla.

YIS
Lady Deirdre ni'Raghailligh
Deputy A&S
Barony of Wiesenfeuer

Information on Pewter Casting with Soapstone Molds from Master Finnacan:

Greetings.
For those of you who attended my class "Pewter casting in Soapstone Molds",
you'll recall I promised a few vital links to the suppliers I consider best for
the materials you need.

The first was Stoneman, http://www.stoneman.ca/ a canadian supplier of high
quality brazilian soapstone. He is accustomed to providing for mold makers, so
if you tell him you want 4 pieces of soapstone for pewter casting at .5 X 3 X 3
inches, which is what I ordered, he will oblige. I find it best to call him and
discuss your order over the phone.

The second was Rotometals. I purchased my steel ladle and raw pewter (brittania,
actually) from them.

http://www.rotometals.com/Ladles-for-Casting-s/8.htm
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/alloy_r-98_pewter.htm

Finally, a number of folks were curious about the tools I use for sculpting
soapstone (remember, always work wet).

Well, here are the loop-ended wax scrapers I use.
http://www.jewelrysupply.com/products/WX500.html?catPath=19_242

and here are the stainless steel wide tooth files I use for serious stone
removal and sprues..
Just go to "Online Catalog", go down to wax tools, and choose wax files. Those
are the ones you want.
http://www.sculpt.com/

Also, as a reminder, when I enamel my pieces, I use Testors Model Enamel Paint.
Hobby Lobby carries it. Make sure you also get a clear coat enamel as well a s
aset of colors. Use the clear as primer and as a final coat.

I hope that helps get you folks started making your own medieval bling.

~Finnacan