[Namron] Medieval Fair A&S Request

Heather / Droen wolfyheather at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 22:31:22 PST 2011

Good day good gentles!

This is my first (most definitely not my last) request for items to display in
the A&S tent at the Medieval Fair in Norman, OK April 1st, 2nd & 3rd.  We need
examples of all kinds - and documentation would be a huge plus if you've worked
it up for competitions.  It would be ideal to have at least a simple paragraph
describing the item to accompany it at the table, so that volunteers in the tent
have something to refer to when showing Fair patrons around.  Please contact me
to arrange getting the item to us  and to work out what kind of space (table,
rack, display case) you need  for it.  I hope to make this the best A&S display
yet, but I cannot do it alone!  I will be at Gulf War and would be more than
happy to transport your A&S item home with me if you would like to loan it to us
for the Fair, and would make sure it returns to you in a reasonable amount of
time after (if you do not make it to the Fair yourself) - please see me in
Namron's camp if this option interests you.  If you would like to do a
performance piece, we also have the ability to work that in either at the A&S
tent, in the Living History tent, or even on the lyst field between bouts.

We need volunteers to man our A&S and Living History tents!!  As a  departure
from previous policy, it has been decided that this year there will be a
schedule for volunteers manning the A&S and Living History tents.  A person can
only work in each tent for one shift at a time with a mandatory break of two
hours between shifts.  If you would like to work one shift in the A&S tent and
the next shift in the Living History tent (or vice-versa) that would be ok.  The
shifts are going to be two hours long beginning at 9am (in order to  help with
set up in the morning) and running through 7pm.  We hope that having two hour
shifts will allow us to spread the work out a little and allow a few of our
usual workhorses to take a much needed break during the fair.  Since the tents
will be set up differently this year, there will not be space for people who are
not scheduled to work to sit in either tent.  There WILL be a tent on the
compound where people can go to sit and relax or socialize.

I would like to have four people to man the A&S tent and assist Fair patrons.  A
general knowledge of A&S is helpful, but a friendly personality is required!  I
would prefer to have more, but there should be two people working on some form
of A&S in the Living History tents at all times - what you work on can be as
simple or involved as you choose.  Another change this year will be the addition
of one or two docents who will be in the Living History tent to act as a kind of
go-between for the public and the artisans.  Their job is to talk with patrons
and explain a little bit about what the artisans are doing so that artisans who
are not comfortable chatting with the public can feel more comfortable about
doing their work at the Fair.  I fully understand that not everyone is outgoing
and eager to talk to strangers, and I want everyone to feel that they can
participate at the Fair if they are so inclined.

Shifts available are:
Friday    9-11am
             11-1pm

             1-3pm
             3-5pm
             5-7pm
Saturday    9-11am
                 11-1pm

                 1-3pm
                 3-5pm
                 5-7pm
Sunday    9-11am
               11-1pm

               1-3pm
               3-5pm
               5-7pm

Please contact me if you would like to work any of the above shifts.

Remember, this isn't Namron's Medieval Fair demo - it's the entire SCA's.
People from around the world come to this Fair and we share the dream with many
who we will never see again, but who enrich other baronies and kingdoms in the
months and years to come.

YIS,
Lady Droen O'Rourke
Namron Minister of Arts & Science
Medieval Fair Arts & Science Director

P.S.  Please forward this to any groups or people you feel would be interested.