[Namron] Cub scout demo

Cynthia Teague cmt1708 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 14:23:37 PDT 2011

I can come and spin on either a hand spindle or wheel -- I have various
antique wheels on which I can demonstrate and one very modern wheel that I
would let the scouts try to spin on.  Flyer wheels are at the very end of
period IIRC so am not sure what would be the most appropriate.  I think it
depends on how much you all want the scouts to be able to do versus what
they can look at.

I also have a small two-shaft table loom that I could warp up and let the
scouts weave on.  It is not period (metal heddles, for instance, plus just
the whole table loom concept) so again I am not sure what's appropriate
here.  I've used this loom for workshops with three and four year olds -- it
is very sturdy and easy for them to comprehend.

My two children (10 & 7) will be coming with me.  I think they would be
interested in helping where appropriate; both know how to weave but I'm not
sure whether or not they would make good coaches for the scouts.  Also I
expect that Jurgen will drift over towards the fighting if given his
druthers.

I could also bring fleece in various stages of preparation, Viking wool
combs, etc.  Annabelle, perhaps you & I (and any other fiber folk who are
interested in attending) can talk about coordinating?

It would help me think about this if I knew how many scouts there were, and
whether they are just going to roam around or are expecting to stay at one
"station" for a certain amount of time and then move on to the next.  Should
I prepare a little spiel?  Opportunities for hands-on experimentation?  Or
should I just do stuff and talk to whoever's watching?

Cynthia