[Namron] Theatre for the EVERYMAN

Antigonus Bearbait bardsatlarge at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 13:13:15 PST 2013

Greetings unto the Baronies of Wiesenfeuer & Namron -

Tiggy, here!

I just found out about this, and am so excited.

This is a Readers Theater production of EVERYMAN by the Oklahoma Shakespeare Players - it is done with scripts in hand, and minimal costumes.

Basically, this is they way they "try out" plays they are thinking of doing.

For those of you who do not know, EVERYMAN is one of the first plays to be written in English.  It is an allegory and morality play.

The performance is 7:00pm on Tuesday 26 Feb, and admission is **FREE**.

Details are in the flyer below.  If you have any questions, call the theatre troup at 405.235.3700.

I called them and asked - no tickets or reservations required.

I was in the show in college, but I've never actually seen it.

Just thought there may be some people interested.

Go well, be well, & stay well -

Tiggy

________________________________
 Please Note: You have NOT been added to any email lists. If you no longer wish to receive these messages, please contact kmcgill at cox.net.

Oklahoma Shakespeare presents:
a part ofThe Theatre for the Ears experience

Join us for a unique theatrical experience
Oklahoma Shakespeare is proud to continue our theatrical offerings to Oklahoma through our special series Theatre for the Ears. This series explores classical works that are seldom produced, however are rich with culture and profound language. Members from our professional theatre company and community actors will serve our audiences a staged reading of Everyman,a late 15th century morality play, produced in a theatrically unique venue, albeit perfect for the material. This special production is FREE  to the public thanks to our gracious hosts providing the beautiful back drop to Everyman,
St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral. We invite you to experience the grandeur of this classic work, produced in the space it was intended to be performed!

Saint Paul's Episcopal Cathedral
Theatre has its roots in religious ceremony. From the early Greeks merging the stories of the gods with the life of man, to the medieval mystery and miracle plays, theatre has brought drama into the sanctuary to teach the connection between heaven and earth. First portrayed by priests and then later to be played by actors, these plays presented moral values and religious stories to an illiterate world unable to read the holy texts.

Life every man holds dear; but the dear man holds honor far more precious dear than life.
-William Shakespeare

Saint Paul's Episcopal Cathedral-Interior
Of these early plays, the morality plays were individual allegories, personifying virtues and morals as characters rather than attributes.  The best of these plays isEveryman, dating to the end of the fifteenth century. Told by Death that his end is near, Everyman exhibits the normal fear and despair of one facing death. He is deserted by friends and family and falls back on his virtues to be redeemed. One by one, he is deserted by Knowledge, Beauty, Discretion, and Strength - it is only Good Deeds who remains, for only the good deeds of man will follow him into the grave and beyond.

It is our hope that this staged reading of Everyman will serve as a reminder that theatre and the church once shared a place alongside each other and can again stand side by side today.  And it is also our hope that by presenting classic texts to the modern audience, we can broaden the horizon of the audience by exposing them to the beauty of the English language, whether crafted by the hands of Shakespeare or the anonymous hands that penned Everyman.

Caprice Woosley
Director/Dramaturg

When
Tuesday, February 26th at 7pm
Where
Saint Paul's Episcopal Cathedral
Directions
What
Theatre for the Ears: EVERYMAN
View More Info
Quick Links
Saint Paul's Episcopal Cathedral

Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park

Full Performance Script-Edited by company dramaturg Caprice Woosley

Stay Connected

Prepare Ye For A Lark!

Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park · PO Box 1437 · Oklahoma City · OK · 73101

This email was forwarded to toby.a.pugh at gmail.com, by Oklahoma Shakespeare.
Privacy Policy. Email Marketing by