[Namron] Growing the Barony

Michael Coone felemid.macphail at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 21:01:35 PST 2013

when trying to make the group grow there are many good ways to do it and
have fun ....

Demos ( one event a year open to Mondanes can both help the group and
spread the word) or talk to local groups, schools, and clubs... work with
them at their events ..
having unofficial gathers in garb (shopping, dinning, or evening outs with
friends)
Go to community events in garb and answer question ....(parades, cook offs,
or PTA meetings)
Event Passes for first timers (free passes are worth it .... when leads to
new members)

Demos tend to be alot of work ... but going on date or out with friends in
garb .... take along newbie packets .... works wonders ... more people will
ask what you are dressed up for then will give you grief .... going to pop
and gathers in garb does make a difference too ... people notice .... most
of us have already asked our friends and family ... and then stop looking
... i try to head out to or home from events in garb too .... food and gas
stop are great ways to pass out info .... just because it is not our group
we maybe recruiting for .... the thing i have found is the SCA is the SCA
.... if you recuit for another area, you may see them again at events and
Wars .....  One of the biggest problems is the excuses .... they are the
biggest enemy to any groups growth .... from "i do  not know what to say"
....(there are newbie packs to print off and hand out at SCA.org) ... and
just talk about what you like ..... be honest ... to "it is not my job to
recruit" ..... blue card or not .... officer or not .... each person that
loves the SCA can to show some of that love back and help it grow ... we
are For Fun group run by Volunteers ...  when you see a new face walk up to
them and say hi .... they are new person and your welcome could be the
difference between newbie and neverbie ... there is something for everyone
in the SCA .... some never see it because how we welcome new people into
the group ... there some go all out .... others i seen for over a year in
my own barony that i could not say if they ever introduced them self  ....
i try to talk to each new person I see .... and encourage them ...

the choice is yours .... if you play this crazy game we call SCA ... you
are a Hospitaler to every newvbie.. if you do not use your words .... your
actions will be noticed ... and we can all do our part ... everyone of us
can make small difference according to our talents ... lets put them to
work and see if we can become the role models..... that keep the SCA going,
growing and Fun

Speak up when positive or interested.... when not ...remember what you say
has impact .... there are those out there trying ...me and my wife have
asked if anyone wanted a class on something, or to have a get together, and
no one answered .... but when we planed something with out input from
populace...it always had great turn out ....  we have a lot of great people
offering to help, teach, or need something,...... but when no one speaks up
....none of us can not benefit from it ... be active .. it can make a
difference ...

last but not least ..... do not be afraid to try something new .... i have
seen others and myself put forth some suggestions on every thing from
recruiting, A&S stuff, and things have worked in other places  ... and seen
the wall of tradition fly up and stop the idea.... with simple comments
like " we do not do that here" or " we tried that 15 years ago" or " no one
will want to do it"  ............if WE do not do it ... that means it has
not been tried ,what would be the harm of letting them try? ... we tried
that years ago ....is not valid anymore... people and times change and what
failed may do better now ... again what can it hurt to try again .... no
one will want to do it ,,,, normally means " i do not want to do it " fine
then, do not sign up to help but, please, do not stand in the way of those
willing to try ..... when someone of 10 15 or 30 years in the SCA says any
of the above comments they carry weight and become road blocks to those who
where willing to try something ....

thank you.....to those that already are doing things to help the group
grow.... to many times we get so busy we forget to thank those who have
picked up burden and carry it gladly...

and thank you in advance if this letter inspires you to try .... for if
tomorrow is going to be better then today, you must do something, to change
the outcome ...

if we never try, we can never win.

thank you for time
Felemid MacPhail