[Namron] Symposium Mar. 27 - Visual Culture and the Early Book

Eckart, Ann M. ameckart at ou.edu
Wed Mar 7 12:09:05 PST 2018

The Medieval Fair Department is sharing information from our friends at The Center for Medieval & Renaissance Studies we think will interest you.

VISUAL CULTURE AND THE EARLY BOOK
Symposium, March 27
Gould Hall Gallery (GH 130) and Special Collections, 5th floor Bizzell Library

The Center for Medieval & Renaissance Studies invites you to a symposium March 27 on "Visual Culture and the Early Book." Four afternoon talks by University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University scholars will be followed by a reception at OU Libraries Special Collections, and then by a keynote talk from Dr. Michelle Brown, former Curator of Illuminated Manuscripts at the British Library, London. All events are free and open to the public. (See below for full schedule.)

The talks by Drs. Bill Endres, Joyce Coleman, Jennifer Borland, and Kathleen Crowther (in Gould Hall Gallery, GH 130) will explore the interaction of image with text in medieval manuscripts and early printed books. The rise of the graphic novel has raised our awareness of the importance and impact of illustrations in books. Looking back to older time periods, images can help us understand how medieval and early modern people visualized the information provided by their books, plus the cultural meanings and relationships underlying that information. Such images range from intricate decorations on Gospel pages through depictions of authors and their patrons, on to medical and scientific texts.

The reception at OU Libraries Special Collections (5th floor Bizzell Library) will feature refreshments, as well as a special exhibition of three beautiful manuscript books of hours from the collection of Mr. and Mrs. James C. Meade.

[<B>SM21  <I>The Bodmin Gospels</I></B>]The CMRS is especially delighted to host Michelle Brown as our keynote speaker (in Gould Hall 130). An engaging personality and a world-class scholar, Dr. Brown is Professor Emerita of Medieval Manuscript Studies at the School of Advanced Study, University of London; Visiting Professor at University College London and Baylor University; and Senior Researcher, University of Oslo. She was formerly Curator of Illuminated Manuscripts at the British Library. She has taught, broadcast, and published widely (over 30 books), as well as curated exhibitions on history, archeology, and medieval and modern art. She is now a freelance author / lecturer and a lay canon of Truro Cathedral. She lives in Cornwall, England, with her husband and rescue dogs.

VISUAL CULTURE AND THE EARLY BOOK SYMPOSIUM
FULL SCHEDULE

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D3B61A.C5F37CB0][cid:image006.jpg at 01D3B61A.C5F37CB0][cid:image008.png at 01D3B61A.C5F37CB0][cid:image010.jpg at 01D3B61A.C5F37CB0]

Gould Hall Gallery (GH 130)

1:15-1:30: Dr. Bridget Burke (Associate Dean for Special Collections, University Libraries): Opening remarks

1:30-2:05: Dr. Bill Endres (English), "The St. Chad Gospels: Imagery as Gateway Knowledge into the Text"

2:10-2:45: Dr. Joyce Coleman (English; CMRS), "The First Presentation Miniature in an English Manuscript-and Why Chaucer's Not in It"

2:45-3:00: Break

3:00-3:35: Dr. Jennifer Borland (OSU, Art History), "Moved by Medicine: The Experience of Handling Medieval Folding Almanacs"

3:40-4:15: Dr. Kathleen Crowther (History of Science), "Celestial Spheres and Torrid Zones: Images of the Medieval Cosmos"

OU Libraries Special Collections, 5th floor Bizzell Library

4:30-5:30: Reception at Special Collections
Featuring an exhibit of manuscript books of hours from the collection of Mr. and Mrs. James C. Meade, Special Collections Reading Room

Gould Hall Gallery (GH 130)

6:00-7:30: Dr. Michelle Brown, keynote address: "Words to Be Seen and Images to Be Read: Aspects of Text and Image Integration in Medieval Manuscripts"

Supported by generous funding from Mr. and Mrs. James C. Meade and the English and History of Science Departments, University of Oklahoma. For more information, and accommodations on the basis of disability, email joyce.coleman at ou.edu.