[Namron] June Populace Minutes

Seneschal of Namron seneschal at namron.ansteorra.org
Wed Jun 7 18:57:02 PDT 2023

June Populace Minutes

Their Excellencies have gusty words. They will be holding regular business,
shenanigan business, and a time to allow feedback from the populace.

Seneschal:
West Wind is open once again and we’re going to see about using them again
for Populace. We will continue to use The Depot in the meantime.

We won the Toy Tournament, but apparently we haven’t been displaying the
banner. Also, there wasn’t a tournament last year, so we need to make sure
we have one this year (likely at Yule).

Polling for the position of Thrown Weapons should be open soon. There’s
been a bit of a hold up, but once the polling is finished we should have a
new marshal.

Since we’ve applicants for Hospitaler, we’ll stop taking applications on
June 25th so we can begin the polling process.

Looking to put together Water Wars this summer, which is a free
cross-baronial/canton competition with water-based games, a potluck, and
usually swimming at one of the lakes.

Bids for Protectorate and its Feast are still available. We’ll be accepting
bids until the positions of Event Steward and Feast Steward are filled. We
currently have a reservation at Will Rogers for the event, but are open to
other sites.

Master Orlando is looking to run an event and would like to present it to
the Barony to see if they’d like to host it.

Master Orlando:
Looking to have Namron host Vindheim’s first version of the Academy of the
Rapier, called Accademia della Spada (Academy of the Sword). One day
collegium with classes on SCA steel combat and other subjects important to
the fencing community. He already has people both in and out of the kingdom
offering to come teach. It would be held at Ardmore Convention Center next
year (July 27, 2024 is the target date). Also looking at attracting vendors
and a tavern or possibly food trucks. The populace was polled and it passed
mostly unanimously.

Treasurer:
Thank you for a wonderful event. Still working on getting all the signers
transferred over to the new people. Tenure is up in November/December and
she’d really like a deputy to learn about the position and potentially step
into the position when she eventually steps out of it.

Title Bard of Namron:
Will be hosting quarterly bardic potlucks. First will be June 12th
(replacing A&S that week) at Ashidur/Halldora/Saevarr’s place. Namron’s
Anthem and Ballad will be taught at the first meetup.

The Excellencies:
Upcoming events including Myrgenfeld’s Children Collegium. Phred Day is the
same weekend, on Sunday, in hopes of working on shingles and painting the
shed. Crown Tourney is June 10th, held in the Barony of Elfsea, hosted by
Glaslyn. War of the Lilies will be held the following week in Calontir and
Vindheim’s Coronet Tourney, hosted by Mooneschadowe, will be held at the
end of the week. Kyna will speak of another event.

Kyna: Messy Arts and Sciences Day will be held to showcase a bunch of the
messier aspects of A&S that can’t be held indoors. It will be held at their
house (4200 E. Franklin in Norman) on June 24th. Looking to do silk banner
painting and, hopefully, a viking six-panel chest, among other projects.
Will be having a potluck and a bonfire (and hopefully bardic).

TE:
Namron is in dire need of a youth rapier marshal; if you’re interested, you
can contact Namron’s marshal or Seneschal or Master Elric who is Vindheim’s
Youth Rapier Marshal.

There will be an inter-kingdom largess swap, allowing artisans a chance to
be exposed to the largess of other kingdoms as well as show the skills of
the artisans.

Skorragardr has been contacted about hosting Water Wars, to help promote
the Canton. Currently waiting for a response.

Regarding the Toy Tourney, we’ve been offered space by the upcoming Baron
and Baroness of Wiesenfeuer to host it at Yule. Planning on a formal
announcement with formats in July.

They have two challenges for the Populace. The first is an award
recommendation challenge with a deadline of August 1st. Participants are to
make award recommendations based on 23 prompts (which will be available on
the Namron facebook page). They do not have to be members or our populace.
If you submit a recommendation for every prompt, you’ll receive a prize.
Write down the information (what the recommendation was, not who it was
for) to keep track of your work and email the completed list to her.

The second is a challenge to increase the population of Namron. Namron had
71 members when they stepped up and currently have 94. If by August 31st
the group can reach a specific, predetermined number of additional
memberships then Their Excellencies will rent a dunk tank and the Populace
can dunk them.

Floor is open to the Populace:

Master Orlando had Word fame: A small group of people went to Valor last
weekend and on Sunday the only people seen running water bearing were two
people from Namron: Bethesda and Katrina. They were relentless in keeping
people hydrated and fed. Also, on Saturday, Lady Katrina received a
Thunderbolt from Her Serene Highness of Vindheim for stepping into the
cover for the Vindheim Rapier champion (who had mundane issues to attend
to) and guarded her all day.

Valencia: Cadmus asked her to mention that the Chivalric community is in
favor of a one-size-fits-all hoods or mantles with Namron heraldry as a
group project in place of tabards as they’re easier and cheaper and can
used by but Chivalric and Rapier fighters for use as a group (such as at
Pennsic).

Kyna: Would like to see us going to more things in garb out in the general
public (art walks, events at the park). Doesn’t have to be official. If
anyone is thinking about getting together as a group in public then perhaps
do it while wearing garb. Try to give more than 24 hours notice though, if
possible.

Aisha mentioned a garb exchange, possibly at Populace (Summer Swap).

There will be a city-wide yard sale July 14-16th (the weekend of Round
Table) and Namron is accepting donations to be sold with all funds going to
the Barony. It doesn’t have to be SCA related. If there’s anything you no
longer need and would like to get rid of, please consider donating it. All
proceeds will be designated for something particular that the Barony needs,
like a trailer, thrones, or youth equipment. Looking to potentially hold it
at West Wind. Kyna is offering to arrange storage for items if you need to
get rid of it before August, so contact her. There would be signup shifts
to run the sale. Technically you’d be donating the money raised from your
items sold (ie, anything you donate that’s not sold still belongs to you).

Emma mentioned the idea of a towel-chiton class to allow people to create
them, which is handy for events with showers since you can dry off with
them and then wear them out of the shower (basically two beach towels sewn
together).

Event themes for Protectorate 47? Wrestling, tapestry, pirates, Norse, a
hunt?

Please contact Their Excellencies if there’s anything you feel could be
done differently/better than how they’re currently doing it.

WHOOSH! How to make it more consistent when we receive awards. Should we
have a call/prompt that lets everyone know when we should do it or is it
just something that just needs practice so everyone knows to do it with the
proper timing?

Aisha brought up making sure we have business cards to pass out to people.

Saevarr mentioned us having a QR code to make things easier for people to
find us (or their own local group).

Yours In Service,
Don Cornelius Meriläinen
Seneschal, Barony of Namron