NR - Principality (there I said it)

Nathan W. Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 14 11:39:13 PDT 1998

Greetings friends!

> b)    Why would we?

I think I'm just going to focus on this second question for now.

Establishing a principality, I think, is the next step in the natural growth of
the Northern Region.  This area has come a very long way in the past few years
and has grown into one of the shining lights of Ansteorra.  This is evidenced by
the way we play and party together, and have such a strong identity.

Will the theoritical pricipality eventually split off from Ansteorra?  Who knows
at this point.  I think it's a non-issue.  If it happens it will be many years,
and many, many more debates/fights down the road.

What I see developing here in the North is the a Principality without the
paperwork.  I think the question is, Do we want to continue as we are?  or go
ahead and make an official Principality?

And, I think one of the best things that has come out of our little online
discussion is the idea of having the first official discussion at an event July
4th weekend.  It gives everyone time to get used to the idea that "yes, we
really are going to talk openly about it" and to talk about it at fighter
practices, populace meetings, revels, guild meetings, dance practices and so on.

Also, while I think taking the leap to Principality is a good thing, I don't
think there is any need to rush into it.  The North has been growing at a steady
clip for a while now, let's take the time to think about this fully and grow
into the new shape, instead of trying to prune ourselves into the new shape.  I
say, that even if there is a general concensus at the first meeting about going
Principality (HA!), lets set up a long adjustment timetable for things to
happen.  Say, a two year plan or so.  Let everyone get used to it, and argue to
their hearts content.  Because we all know that if Lord/Lady So-and-So doesn't
get the chance to publicly argue one way or the other about the issue, then they
will bitch and complain about it forever.  *grin*

until later, I remain

Gio.