NR - RE: Court and Herald Idea

dssweet at okway.okstate.edu dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Feb 26 07:27:54 PST 1998

And then Kelandra wrote:

>Who cares if I have to sit in court for three hours, I mean, yes, I may
>grumble about it and wish for a soft cushion but it is still worth it
>to see my friends receive an award.  And yes, some of the schtick that
>goes on in court could be cut down or done during feast or at the
>morning or evening court...but then court becomes just an awards court
>and the atmosphere and the revelry of the times is gone.

     I fail to understand why the typical sca lord/lady grumbles,
bitches or complains that courts are too long. Courts should be long
enough to take care of the necessities of governing either at the local
level or at the kingdom level. The populace expects our crowns and
barons to distribute awards to deserving people, pass information to the
populace and conduct any business as necessary, and to provide "good
court". The populace also seems to want this done in 30 minutes or less,
but it just isn't normally going to happen.  In return the crowns &
barons should be able to expect an attentive, quiet audience, who when
summoned, either individually or as a group, reacts quickly and with
dignity.

     If it's an event like NR with 4 baronies & the king everyone should
*expect* a longer than normal court. They should be ready with their own
little comforts (full tankard, nibbles, a soft cushion or comfortable
chair, etc.) that will make the court more enjoyable than not. They
should be prepared to be *quiet* and not talk excessively with their
neighbors (leaning over for a quiet sentence spoken next to an ear is
entirely different than talking with 3 or 4 people at a normal volume).
If a person cannot do this, then they should not be in the court area.

     All this is still true even at smaller events with shorter courts.

     By the time someone has been in the sca for a year or so, they
should know whether or not they enjoy going to court. If they don't
enjoy court, they should go elsewhere so that those who do enjoy court
can enjoy it. Court should have, IMHO, theater quietness.

     [The only grumbling about court that I have is that fact that since
they usually start so late that means the dancing starts late! I guess
the dancers and musicians need to start convincing the "hats" that,
"yes, something is still scheduled to start *after* court, so don't
dilly dally about starting it!" (in fact it's all really the fighters
fault since they're the ones that don't start the tournament until 10 or
11 am, and *everything* else is bumped back from the get-go)] :)

     Estrill
     dssweet at okway.okstate.edu

     "Never hire a ferret to do a weasel's job." Louie the Lizard