NR - Principality discussion was Northern Regional Warlord II

dssweet at okway.okstate.edu dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Jul 6 15:47:05 PDT 1998

     Gio asked, Talen responded:
>>How did the Principality meeting go?
>Well enough.  We have many opinions, and many were expressed.  I'll let
>others post their own opinions.

     Throw the rocks my direction. I had suggested that a prinicipality
     meeting be held at the Warlord event because it was the next regional
     event that was on the calendar, and theoretically, there would be a
     large number of people at the event.

     Roughly 30-35 people were in attendance at the beginning of the
     meeting. Sir Burke told us that the approximate number of paid members
     in the north is 300-400 people [it'd be really nice if Sir Burke could
     update that webpage to the 1997 numbers of paid memberships in
     Ansteorra, hint, hint]. So, while at the most, 10% of the north's
     population participated in the meeting, that was 1/3 of the events
     attendees, which is fairly decent. Those in attendance included: HRHs
     Bar & Kat; Barons/nesses Burke & Arafel, Aethelstan & Claryce, Sigyn &
     Thorgrim, Gitana, Maleah, Gunhilda, Tarl, Stacia; HL's Ulf, Bjorlich,
     Talen, Treschen, Robert Fitzmorgan, Donovan; Lords/Ladies Owen ap
     Aeddan, Dagmar, Haldane, Cerdiwen, Britta, and several that I didn't
     recognize.

     The meeting started around 8 or 8:30 and ended about 11:00 pm. IMHO
     that's not long enough, but by the end many people had left before I
     had a chance (and felt comfortable enough) to want to say this:

     "There should probably be 1 or 2 more meetings discussing the concept
     of a northern principality at some upcoming events this fall. More
     people should be allowed to express their opinions, ask questions, and
     get answers rather than rumors. Or perhaps meetings should be held
     locally discussing this with the assistance of the seneschalate
     (making more work for Sir Burke & Baroness Sigyn--they can thank me
     later). If however, only a minority of the population feels strongly
     enough about the principality issue to attend meetings, then it's
     probably not the right time for this to happen, and such discussions
     can be stopped for now.

     "Many good points have been mentioned, especially about strengthening
     the region. In my opinion, this event (Northern Warlord & Friends)
     helps to highlight some of the problems in the region. With the NR
     Tribute, it's clear just who the main event planning belongs to -
     Wiesenfeuer. With this new regional event, it's very unclear. Who
     decides who gets to (mainly) host this event? The winner of the heavy
     warlord melees? Regional seneschal decree? The baronial hats? Who? Is
     it by bid to the regional seneschal? And what about the other parts of
     it? Bardic, archery, rapier, k/a/s, A&S? Do the winners of each get to
     decide just when and where *their* competition will be? It's
     conceivable that the above competitions could be farmed out to any of
     the typical yearly events (IHMO no more than two at any one event)
     that always happen, and thus there would be no need for a special
     event to decide the regional champions. Or the event or competitions
     could rotate around to each group of the region. But you still run
     into the problem of deciding who will decide. Who has the authority to
     decide this?"

     "In my capacity as one of the northern list co-administrators I would
     like to ensure that a regional calendar of events is published/posted
     on the list--say weekly/biweekly. (What this means is that I'll wait a
     coupla' months, see if Baroness Sigyn posts anything, and if she
     doesn't, I'll cobble together a calendar from the various groups
     newsletters that our chronicler receives. It wouldn't be 100%, but
     it'd be better than nothing. I'm truly sick that way.)"

     I personally would like to see a definitive name chosen for the region
     (I could live with Nordsteorra, but something new would be fine too),
     and heraldry. Have the kingdom acknowledge the boundaries of the
     region & register the name & device for the region. And then some
     years down the road (or now perchance) people will be in favor of a
     principality and things will happen.

     Estrill