NR - Differences between North & South

dssweet at okway.okstate.edu dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Fri Mar 20 11:56:07 PST 1998

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald said:

>True but remember that we consist of the 2nd and 19th largest states with
>an approxamate land area of over 325,000 Sq. Miles.  No very small if you
>ask me.

     I wasn't referring to square miles. I was simply trying to say that
because Ansteorra is composed of only *two* mundane U.S. states it could
be a rather natural circumstance that some things have become polarized
into a "north/south" dichotomy that corresponds to OK & TX (yeah, my
brain knows Brad Leah is in the north, but my heart doesn't believe it).
I would hazard a guess that this modern "state-pride" doesn't make as
much of an influence in those kingdoms composed of more than three US
states (though I think it can be an attributing factor in helping spur
principalities-*if* other factors are also at work). And since there is
no other kingdom composed of only two states, it's difficult to look at
someone else for comparisons/differences.

     I went to the SCA webpage to check and see the modern areas of the
other kingdoms. I have intentionally left out any non-US areas (since
Ansteorra doesn't have any). And I find it *vastly* interesting that
Ansteorra's most successful series of wars is with the only kingdom that
is composed of fewer US states than we are (is their mind-set similar to
ours?). Here's the list in order of least-to-most states:

     Trimaris    - FL
     Ansteorra   - OK, TX
     Aethelmearc - WV, PA, NY
     An Tir      - OR, WA, ID
     Atenveldt   - AZ, UT, CA
     Caid        - CA, NV, HI
     West        - CA, NV, AK
     Artemisia   - ID, UT, CO, WY, MT
     Atlantia    - MD, VA, NC, SC, GA
     Calontir    - KS, MO, IA, NE, AR
     Outlands    - NM, CO, WY, NE, TX
     East        - PA, NJ, DE, NY, NH, VT, CT, RI, MA
     Meridies    - GA, AL, MS, LA, AR, TN, FL, KY, VA
     Middle      - OH, KY, IN, MI, IL, IA, WI, MN, ND, SD

     These states (AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, IA, KY, NE, NV, NY, PA, TX,
     UT, VA, WY) are in two or more kingdoms.

     Estrill
     TGIF