NR - OT -- Hmmm

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Sat May 2 07:19:01 PDT 1998

     Things have been so quiet on this list (as compared to the
Ansteorra list!!!!) that I thought I would share a little humor with
all of you.  While it is definitely Off Topic, I know that it will be
relevant to all of you.  Perhaps we should take a vote.

Tyrca

OFFICE MEMO         What sex is your computer?

As you are aware, ships have long been
characterized as being female
(e.g., "Steady as she goes" or "She's listing to
starboard, Captain!").
Recently, a group of computer scientists (all
males) announced that
computers should also be referred to as being
female.  Their reasons for
drawing this conclusion follow:

             Five reasons to believe computers
are female:

 1.   No one but the Creator understands their
internal logic.

 2.   The native language they use to communicate
with other computers
is incomprehensible to everyone else.

 3.   The message "Bad command or file name" is
about as informative,
"If you don't know why I'm mad at you, then I'm
certainly not going to
tell you."

 4.   Even your smallest mistakes are stored in
long-term memory for
later retrieval.

 5.   As soon as you make a commitment to one,
you find yourself
spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

However, another group of computer scientists
(all female) think that
computers should be referred to as if they were
male. Their reasons
follow:
         *  Five reasons to believe computers are
male:

 1.   They have a lot of data, but are still
clueless.

 2.   They are supposed to help you solve
problems, but half the time
they are the problem.

 3.   As soon as you commit to one you realize
that, if you had waited a
little longer, you could have obtained a better
model.

 4.   In order to get their attention, you have
to turn them on.

 5.   Big power surges knock them out for the
rest of the night.

This seems to indicate that my computer is
bisexual :)