NR - Printers Type

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Tue Nov 10 15:10:20 PST 1998

On 10 Nov 98, at 12:11, I. Marc Carlson wrote:

> I have an acquaintance, a printer and binder, who is moving in a month or
> so to Iowa.  He is wanting to dump a large amount of antique printer's
> type rather than move it.  He has several sets of 12 and 14 pica
> characters, they are in storage cases.  If anyone is interested, please
> let me know.  He is letting them go for "cheap or free".
>
> Conversely, if anyone is interested in several pounds of lead in small,
> easy to melt and cast nuggets, please let me know...

warnings ... for those contemplating melting down this lead for projects, it
is very likely that it is not pure ... the old hot-type industry (my family had
some of the last operational linotypes in the dallas area ... still have one
stored away from when the shop shut down) used lead with various
hardening agents, not all nice.

the uncle who ran the shop had many long running health problems and
died a particularly nasty death from too many years in the hot-type
business.  boiling lead cauldrons melting old type, casting ingots for the
type formers (each with their own pots of molten metal), toxic inks, dust
(lead laced), nasty solvents, oil, grease, bad ventilation, gas fumes, paper
dust, ... sounds lovely, dosn't it?

on the other hand, if someone is looking for type to setup manual printing
operations, it should be safe if basic comon-sense, ventilation, storage, and
hygene issues are observed.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves