NR - Judging Form Changes

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Mon Aug 2 16:30:02 PDT 1999

The Laurel's held their retreat this weekend while the rest of the kingdom
went off to cut Red Tape.  Much fun was had, and amazingly, much work was
accomplished.

We went over the results of the survey that was conducted earlier this year.
It held a lot of clear pointers about the wants and desires of the kingdom
towards Arts and Science.  Several of those items are being looked at, but
one in particular I'd like to call to your attention.

We are trying to rework the Judging Forms.  Yes, the dreaded Judging Forms.
All three forms had changes, some quite significant.  Prototypes of the
first draft should be down at Steppes Artisan this weekend.  If you attend,
please stop by the A&S and give your feedback on the forms.  After all,
that's what prompted the changes in the first place.  You don't have to be a
Peer to make a difference in this Kingdom, which is something I dearly love
about it.

The changes are a compromise of everyone's opinion (in other words they
didn't do it exactly my way!), but they do reflect a drift towards focusing
more on the work itself.  I don't have my notes here with me, so I can't
give you an exact breakdown.  Sorry.

They are also trying to come up with some articles to help, specifically an
instruction sheet for the judging form (to help standardize judging) and a
"how to write useful documentation" article (so people will know what should
be in there and what can be left out).

I'd also like to encourage people to write research papers.  It is an area
of the A&S that frequently has few or no entries, and yet so many of us have
had to do enough research in our crafts that we could write good research
papers.  If you've got a notebook half full of notes and references from
your last project, chances are you've got the makings of a research paper.
And the A&S judging forms for that had some large changes.  Try it; you'll
like it.

Ulfie