NR - Painting Leather

claryce at ix.netcom.com claryce at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 30 15:12:46 PDT 1999

First of all, how small of an area are you talking about? I've been able to "paint" dye into
some rather small places. The other idea would be to use acrylic and then seal it with some sort
of sealer. The problem is that I don't know how long the sealer would last under fighting
conditions.
The other problem with using any kind of surface paint is that any oils or other moist
compounds..ie water,sweat,leather conditioners will eventually soak through the leather and
"pop-off" the paint.
If your armor is tooled, you might want to go with some sort of leather stain, and then a
sealer.
Remember that you only want to try and seal one side of your leather if you can help it. This
way you can still add leather conditioners as you clean your armor. This will help extend the
life of the leather so you don't have to repair or replace it within a couple of years.

hope this helps,
Aethelstan
Namron