ANST-Announce - TRF - Year of the Silver Masque

StephenMacthomas@aol.com StephenMacthomas at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 14:27:00 PST 1999

Greetings unto all from Lord Stephen Macthomas, sponsor of the Texas
Renaissance Festival mask competition.

Over the past seven weeks, I sponsored a weekly mask competition to promote
the SCA's participation with the theme of TRF this season, the Year of the
Silver Masque.  Over the season, we had a tremendous response, with entries
of all materials and designs.  We had two skilled artisans teaching
maskmaking to others - Lady Kieran, who created many blank mask forms and
provided the fabric and other materials for those she taught, and Honorable
Lord Brian, who brought his leatherwork out and helped many of our
participants to create their own masks of hide.  Kieran and Brian were a
fantastic assistance in helping promote the mask theme this year, and they
helped a good number of Ansteorrans to wear masks when they otherwise would
have had none to wear.  My thanks go to you both.

Our weekly winners were:  Lady Seren, Milady Jara, Lady Kieran, Tighearn
Finn, Milady Guinivere, Milord Tyger and Milady Carina.  Each of these good
gentles received a retired, undated Texas Renaissance Festival coffee/cocoa
mug decorated with Real Musgrave dragons.  During Halloween weekend, we also
held a costume contest, which was won by Lord Ragan of Raven's Fort, for his
demon's armor and bonecraft mask.  Lord Ragan received a box in the shape of
a tower's top, with a chained gargoyle holding vigil on the lid.

I wish to point out that the weekly winners of the last three weeks of the
Festival were all children, and overall our young participants showed an
amazing enthusiasm for this contest, and an exemplary grace in their
participation.  Vivat our children, Ansteorra's future!

The overall winner received an exquisite limited edition block print entitled
"St. Michael", created by Lady Lyonette von Leyden of the Barony of Elfsea.
Lady Lyonette is apprenticed to Mistress Meadhbh ni Ruaidh o Chonnemara of
the Barony of Bryn Gwlad.  This print was presented at Kingdom A&S by Lady
Lyonette and was the first of four prints in the series.  Her contribution to
this competition made it all the more special, and I thank Lyonette for her
talents and her generosity.

The overall winner, chosen by volume and duration of the applause of those
attending court on Sunday, was Lady Seren verch Gethin of the Canton of
Gate's Edge.  Lady Seren created a bejeweled, beribboned mask from braids of
hair.  The mask was stunning whether being worn on her head or on her face.
Seren also created two other masks for the season, each one completely
different in design and materials from the others, and each specific to her
daily garb.  One of these masks was a full headpiece created of vividly
colored feathers, complete with a "beak" for her face and ribbons of sheer
fabric on her sleeves to mimic wings, and the entire ensemble was highly
regarded in the costume competition held during Halloween weekend.

Again, my thanks to everyone that participated in this most entertaining
competition, and my congratulations to the weekly winners, Lord Ragan and
especially Lady Seren.  Vivat!

In your service,
Stephen