NR - Re: NR Warlord vs. Tribute

Staci L. Myers Staci-Myers at ouhsc.edu
Tue Aug 29 14:06:30 PDT 2000

There's also the point that fighting skill is how we choose our new Crown
twice each year. In that case, it is assumed that anyone who is aware that
they lack the skills/resources to do the job will have the personal honor
not to enter the contest. I think that the same applies to the position of
Warlord or any other title won.

I think that having the tournament either immediately before or immediately
after Gulf War is a good idea if you want good attendance (weather &
enthusiasm both being favorable at that time), as well as maximizing the
chance that the Warlord will be able to go to Gulf War.

Yes, there will be instances when the Warlord will not be able to go, & yes,
we will likely get some bad Warlords by relying on fighting skill. We have
had some Crowns that were far less skilled off the field than they were on
it, & the Kingdom has survived (& no, I'm not about to name any). That is
part of the risk of playing a game based on a monarchy, & I would not really
care to continue playing the game were it to convert to a democracy or (God
help us) a bureaucracy.

Aelfwyn