NR - Maybe this is a stupid comment, but...

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Wed Aug 30 17:53:48 PDT 2000

I think there is a place for everyone's comments here.  We all feel
the way we feel and its best if we discuss things openly.  I've
really enjoyed the recent discussion because I've learned a lot about
how other people perceive things.  It was a very hard lesson for me
to learn, but eventually I caught on that just because I think I'm
right doesn't mean someone with a different viewpoint is wrong.

> ...as a relatively new player, I can tell you that *I* thought NRT
> has always been a regional event.  You know, it's that "Regional"
> in the name.  I realize now there's a fine line between a true
> regional-sponsored event and a single-group-sponsored event
> for the whole region.  (Of course, then that calls into question
> what our own events are for.. for the whole region & kingdom to
> enjoy, or just for the local group?)

I guess that's the problem with the fact that there was no such
thing as a "Regional" sponsored event when NRT started seven years
ago.  Every event had to have one group to sponsor it.  Period.  At
the time there wasn't much regional cameraderie at all.  That came
along at pretty much the same time Tribute did as a byproduct of
everyone working together towards the common goal of raising money
for the kingdom.

Some will disagree with me, but I think the way NRT was run on the
local administrative level is a large part of why it kept going
in the early years.  Having one group shoulder the administrative
burden meant that a new group didn't have to keep making the
same mistakes in those first years (a *lot* of administrative bugs
were worked out over the first couple of years, not the least of
which was financial paperwork).

The place where the problem started was that NRT began a certain
way *then* rules were written and implemented about what it takes to
be a "Regional" event.  The way NRT was handled on a local
administrative level never changed, despite the new rules.  I think
it finally got on the track the kingdom administration wanted last
year.

I don't think there was ever the perception that the event was for
any one local group.  Certainly Wiesenfeuer never demanded or
claimed to be entitled to more credit than any other group.  Had
that happened, I think the event would have died that first year.

I was always under the impression that the event was for the
*Kingdom* (hence the name NR Tribute to Ansteorra).  Everyone was
there to raise money for the kingdom and all profits from the event
were always submitted to the Kingdom as a gift from *all* the groups
in the region (no matter how great or small their group's
contribution was).

> Aaaanyway, I do like NRT and hope it continues in some form or fashion.

If NRT continues (and I think it will if there is enough support) I'd
like for it to do so because the people want it to.  I don't want
everyone to do it because "we've always done it" or because a
regional, or kingdom, officer says we have to (in my mind that feels
like taxation and for me, at least, that takes the fun out of it).
If the focus of the region has shifted towards promoting a regional
identity and regional patriotism, my logical train of thought just
said that perhaps the purpose (and the name) of NR Tribute to
Ansteorra might need to change as well.  YMMV.