NR - A plan

Darin K. Herndon darin-herndon at utulsa.edu
Thu Aug 31 16:28:39 PDT 2000

I am going to take all of the threads from the
Warlord/Tribute/Regional-Identity discussions and attempt to form a
single cohesive proposal.  I do not intend this to be the consensus
of all participants or lurkers; there are different opinions on this
list and I doubt those will change.  I am taking what others have
written and proposing a plan around that.  Obviously, my own opinions
shade what is below but I hope others on this list can offer helpful
suggestions to refine this.

(All of the material below is drawn from the discussions this week.
Greater than 95% of it is not original to me.  Please note that I am
not intentionally plagarizing, and I recognize that most of this came
from others.  But, if I were to cross reference every piece to the
people who discussed it then it would be at least twice as long.)
So...

Etienne's $35 worth on 2001 - DRAFT #1

1.  First off, I propose that we all recognize that the events
Northern Regional Tribute (NRT) and Northern Regional Warlord (NRW)
will be, regardless of history or past opinion, REGIONAL events in
2001.  This means events where all groups in the Northern Region
contribute and work together; each doing some so that no one does all.

2.a.  I propose that the Northern Regional Seneschal be asked to get
us as good a date on the kingdom calendar as she can for NRW slightly
before Gulf Wars.  This will get a war practice before Gulf (a
drawing point for Tribute in the past) and select the "war leaders"
of the different competition areas for the 2002 Gulf Wars.  This
gives these people more than a year to help prepare our region for
Gulf.  It also gives us replacements for "war leaders" who have to
cancel.  The winners for 2002 can step up early and get to fill the
role at two Gulfs.

2.b.  I propose that the Northern Regional Seneschal be asked to get
us as good a date on the kingdom calendar as she can for NRT (or
whatever it is named if it changes) to be approximately six months
after NRW.  A pool and air conditioning would be pluses in any bid.
;-)

2.c.  I propose that those weekends also be locked down for 2002 so
the dates can become consistent.

[This also frees Wiesenfeurer from conflicts on their February date.]

3.  I propose that the Northern Regional Seneschal be asked to begin
taking bids for Event and Feast Stewards for both regional events
immediately after setting dates on the kingdom calendar.  If this
radical of a change in regional events is to work it needs lead time.
The Northern Regional Seneschal would select the Stewards.

[Note that in the previous email of this week, we already have three
interested Event Stewards (Rowan, Ceridwen, and Ainar), an interested
Feast Steward (Johann), and one "very willing kitchen slave"
(AElfwyn) for NRW.]

So why get both events staff selected now?  Because the NRT event has
a harder job in planning this year.  We all know pretty much what
warlord will involve.  But, the whole tenor of NRT is, maybe?,
changing and that really needs some attention paid to it.  And it
needs Event Stewards who have time to coordinate the different
opinions and make up their minds well before the actual event.

4.  I propose that this region document the expectations of the
regional "war leaders".  While a discussion on this list would be a
good starting point, it needs to go to the populace.  I have
repeatedly heard that many on this list consider those jobs, not
titles.  A job needs a job description.

5.  There has been discussion of changing things about these events
(other than their dates)

END

I have other topics I want to discuss under Hawkins thread on
regional identity.  I hope that many will join it and contribute.  I
know I will try to organize my thoughts for that discussion this
weekend.

Please feel free to drop me a note if you have suggestions on my
points above.  If you want to flame me for something, please send it
privately and don't take up others' bandwidth.  If you disagree,
please say so.  But the above is my suggestion for 2001 - DRAFT 1.

Seigneur Etienne de St. Amaranth