NR - Re: NR Warlord vs. Tribute

Deborah Sweet/soc/cas/Okstate dssweet at okstate.edu
Wed Aug 30 08:38:56 PDT 2000

I've been reading all the missives on this subject and finally decided to
put forth my feelings and ideas on this subject.

First, I consider the very first NR Tribute to have been the best one.
Adding the war college has, in my opinion, really changed the whole tenor
of the event. Now all the fighters are focused on fighting, all day, at the
war college. This is no different from any other event where they are
fighting in a tourney all day. Yes, the first Tribute had a tourney -- but
it was small, single elim, and the fighters weren't there all day. They had
a chance to mingle (& participate) with all us non-fighters doing all the
other things that were offered. Or at least this is how I remember it.

Second, I acknowledge that having the war college at the event currently
known as NR Tribute is desirable due to how close in time it is to Gulf
Wars.  I think I agree with Baroness Gunhilda about choosing the Warlord at
the war college. It seems like a good time to do it, everyone knows who the
fighting leaders are and most know whether or not they are going to the
war.

Thirdly, I agree that having two regional events is possible and probably
desirable. We've got a good site and date that everyone is used to
(February, third weekend, camp Cimarron).  And I agree with whoever it was
that said having the events six months (or so) apart was a good thing. And
I agree with the fact that fighters don't want to fight in the heat of
July/August. Therefore, my suggestion will be rather radical.

Fourth - The northern region should have two events, separated by
approximately six months (in separate reigns). The first event, in February
would be the Northern War College & Warlord event. In August would be the
Northern Tribute to Ansteorra, held not at a camping site, but at a fully
(even frigidly) air conditioned facility (though I suppose if there was a
camping facility that did have an air-conditioned hall.....)  Most of the
events at Tribute lend themselves more to an indoors site rather than an
outdoors one. However, I don't really anticipate anyone else agreeing with
me on this idea, and that doesn't really bother me. It just seems the more
logical way of holding the events.

HL Estrill Swet
Mooneschadoweshire