NR - Re: Regional Identity

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Thu Aug 31 19:08:13 PDT 2000

> Sigen said:
> Since I started playing, it has been the norm for the North to go
> South, and the South to let them :-).

Yeah, for some that's the way it always was and always will be.
However, I remember Pepin and Caitlin making a point of traveling to
local events in groups like Steppes, Bryn Gwlad, and Bjornsborg.
The result was that really cool people from those groups came up for
Protectorate.  Some people won't ever travel, but for the ones that
do, It's always going to be a reciprocal thing.

>From the Northerners' perspective I think you are correct.  The
majority choose based on the calendar, convenience, and where their
friends will be.  A few are still hung up on the ancient North vs.
South thing (not too many of us still remember it).  However, my
point was that from the perspective of the other regions, the North
*wishes* to be isolated from the rest of the kingdom.  True or not,
perception contributes to why many don't travel to the North.

The division exists and my opinion is that, intentional or not,
it will eventually make us more and more like "us" and less and less
like "them."  The things that make us all "Ansteorran" (thus the
same) will become less and less common ground.  I'm not saying
promoting Regional Identity is a "Bad Thing" (my personal feelings on
the issue are much more complicated than that).

I just think at some point we'll have to decide which is more
important to us, retaining our Kingdom identity or building our own
identity.  It will slowly become harder and harder for us to do both
successfully.  I'm all for everyone moving forward in the way they
want to go and everybody should be free to choose their own
direction.  I just think we should all make our choices with our
eyes open.