ANST-Announce - Charter Painters:New info and reminders...

Lee Lemons lalemons at flash.net
Sat Jan 22 21:09:14 PST 2000

> Unto all Ansteorran Charter Painters does Baroness Curstaidh Magorlick, Star Signet, send
>
>    Greetings!

        Below you'll find some important reminders about charter
painting that is being sent out again, for the benefit of new painters
and as well as our more experienced painters, and you will also find
some new information, expecially who to contact for blank charters to
paint.  So I apologize for the cut-and-paste look but felt it important
to send out  some of this information again as well as add to it!

   I would like to briefly discuss charter painting, paper, and scribal
contacts in the Kingdom.  First, and most
   importantly,  thank you very much, O wondrous painters, for all the
support you have given in the past to our fair
   Kingdom!  I am very proud of Anstoerra's painters and appreciate your
dedication and hard work!!  Please keep up
   the  researching, painting, and promoting of this fun art and
service!

    Now that a new Reign has begun, we are in need of painted award
charters!  So it's time once more to have
painting parties, dig out charters not yet completed and finish them
off, and get them in the mail to the Sable Scroll!
Please remember that finished award charters are welcome at any time
during a Reign, and that the Sable Scroll is always
happy to receive your hard work!

   Next, I need to talk about some of the charters we have received
lately.  Our Kingdom charters are run off on very
   specific paper, using top level toner,  to help insure quality for
the painting and calligraphy that needs to end up on said
   paper.  Not all paper can receive paint and ink very well, and herein
lies a slight problem we are having.  Out of good
   intentions we have some gentles who are running off their own
charters, painting them, and turning them in.

   Unfortunately, the paper quality and toner quality are not of the
standards we use, and so we have some beautiful
   charters being turned in with flaking toner and / or paper that
feathers / bleeds with the calligraphy ink!  So after all that
   work being done, created with the best of intentions, it is
heartbreaking that these charters can't be used!

   Another problem we are having is from painters forgetting to put a
cover sheet, towel, or cloth underneath any skin
   that touches the charter as they paint.  Your hand, forearm, whatever
- the natural oil we all have in our skin will be
   absorbed by the paper, something you'll not even notice happening.
The scribe filling in the awards will notice it,
   though, when trying to write in that oiled area - the pen will
usually slide right over that area, and the ink will not be
   absorbed as fully as it should, or even at all, in some cases.
Depending on the paper being used -- as in a nice gentle
   trying to use  his/her own paper, etc., to create blank charters to
paint -- the paper may also feather / bleed the ink, as
   mentioned in the previous paragraph.  So not only then is the scribe
trying to work with a charter that has oil patches
   that make the pen slide off from creating the letter trying to be
written, he or she might also end up trying to control the
   feathering of the ink on the very next letter!

   So please, fellow painters, get your blank charters from your
Regional Scribe, the Sable Scroll, or from myself, Star
   Signet.  Many times, too, you will find that your local charter
painting group has extra charters to hand out - great! Get
   charters from them, too! The head of the group has either received
the paper / charter from the people responsible for
   handing out the charters, or has special permission from me to run
them off.

   Now to list the addresses of the people to contact for blank
charters:

       Sable Scroll (Royal Scribe)