NR - Re: Regional Identity

Sigen3 at aol.com Sigen3 at aol.com
Fri Sep 1 09:40:47 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/1/00 11:06:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu writes:
HE Kat said:
snip
<< I think our devotion to regional identity
 has created the perception that we (the region) want to be separate
 from the whole (or at least that's what I hear from *many* of my
 friends in other regions).

 I know that fewer northern folks journey outside this region (when
 they do it is usually for a Crown or Coronation) and fewer folks
 from other regions come to Northern events.  >>

snip

Since I started playing, it has been the norm for the North to go South, and
the South to let them :-).  There are some folks from the south who have the
attitude that they *are* the kingdom, and if we want to play, we should go
south.  There are also northern folks who feel the same about the north.

For most of the folks I know, the calendar is so full that they must choose,
and usually they will choose events where they know their friends will be.
Most often, this means events in their region, or close to it.  They don't
*just* go to nr events because they don't want to be a part of the bigger
picture.  When they do travel to the southern part of the kingdom, they *do*
proclaim their northern heritage, because they are proud of it.

For anyone who has traveled very much, the differences in culture between the
regions become evident very quickly.  I for one am very interested in what
makes us different, yet still the same.  I don't believe that having a
regional identity makes us any less accessible for the rest of the kingdom.
My take on it is that we like who we are, and we are proud of *both* our
Kingdom and region.  Having a regional identity doesn't make us any less
Ansteorran.

It is little different than a 10th c. scandinavian culture.  The king's
kingdom was where he was.  The people lived in separate villages, gathering
periodically, to hear the laws, solve disputes, and have celebrations.  We
live in separate "villages" and gather periodically to hear the laws, solve
disputes (tourneys) and have celebrations.

Just my opinion :-),

Sigen Northkeep